Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm planning to paint my car with my friend. I decided just to paint it with Plasti dip since it's not permanent. I'm in between two colors, matte black and matte gunmetal grey. What do you guys think? :drinks:

·
Registered
47 Posts
you're gonna plasti dip the entire jeep?

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you plan on dipping the Jeep in your picture i'd say its a damn shame. I love the color and have never seen one in that color in person before.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Since you asked for options....first of all, its you jeep so you really don't need our opinions for decorating it. If you want some wisdom... don't make a mess of your jeep and don't waste any more money on plastidip. Nothing sucks more when your friends look at your jeep and say, "OMG...WTF did you do? LOL!!!!" Then ya know it was a bad idea. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have helped plasti dip 2 cars and several sets of rims. If you take your time and apply multiple thin coats it looks great. The plus is if you don't like it, it peels off and leave no residue. I suggest if you are doing your jeep to buy the gallon size and use a spray gun.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I just did my grill, turned out nice. At least it peels off easy and should not damage the paint underneath.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since you asked for options....first of all, its you jeep so you really don't need our opinions for decorating it. If you want some wisdom... don't make a mess of your jeep and don't waste any more money on plastidip. Nothing sucks more when your friends look at your jeep and say, "OMG...WTF did you do? LOL!!!!" Then ya know it was a bad idea. :)
It was mainly for the two color options I was going with. I know what you mean but I rather do that than sand my whole car and lose the original color. If I don't like how it looks, I can simply peel it off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you plan on dipping the Jeep in your picture i'd say its a damn shame. I love the color and have never seen one in that color in person before.
Thanks, everyone tells me that in Miami. That's why I decided to Plasti dip instead of change the color permanently by sanding it and painting it. If I ever miss my color, I can simply peel it off. :)

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Is plasti easy to touch up if and when it gets scratched?

·
Registered
836 Posts
they have been on my rims for about 6 months only had to touch up once due to crossing a small creek that was somewhat frozen over. always thought about doing my doors during hunting season to protect from scratches.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think a flat black or grey paint job (or plasti-dip job) would be hotter than hell in Florida. Also, I don't think it would be that simple to peel the stuff off an entire vehicle. It's easy to touch up, but I think you'll be touching it up every weekend.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree. I have never painted an entire vehicle with plasti dip, but have used it. I painted my door hinges and found that they were scratched pretty quick. Although it is easy to touch up the plasti-dip, this could become tedious and constant since you'd have so much. I believe they make a clear coat for plastidip - look into that!

If you do go ahead and plastidip the whole jeep, I'd definitely recommend buying the gallon, using a sprayer, and do LOTS OF THIN COATS. If you plan on selling it, I wouldn't do this becuase I think any buyer would stray away. Anyway, it's your jeep, so do what you want with it! That's why we all love them!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think a flat black or grey paint job (or plasti-dip job) would be hotter than hell in Florida. Also, I don't think it would be that simple to peel the stuff off an entire vehicle. It's easy to touch up, but I think you'll be touching it up every weekend.
If you want, YouTube some videos on it and you'll see. If applied correctly then it shouldn't be hard to peel off. Also, if you apply enough coats then you wouldn't need to touch it up every weekend

·
Registered
631 Posts
If you want, YouTube some videos on it and you'll see. If applied correctly then it shouldn't be hard to peel off. Also, if you apply enough coats then you wouldn't need to touch it up every weekend
X2.

Look at the Dipyourcar YouTube channel. It is very easy to remove if there are enough coats applied. If you go offroad in a lot of brush then, yes, you might need to touch it up more often, but otherwise should be just fine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sounds like a lot of work if you have to peel it off. I live here in Fl and the salt air and sun can kill a paint job.... ive got to believe it will work faster on plastic and shrink it up like a prune. Ive seen what its done to my fenders. Beautiful color Jeep.

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
Dont waste your time! Its pointless

1 - 20 of 23 Posts