Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plastic Bumper Frame Cover Purpose? Remove it?

Just curious if there are any benefits to this Bumper Frame Cover? Apparently this plastic piece with the two plastic screws goes by different descriptions, but essentially it's the plastic piece behind the bumper. I assume it serves some purpose as it came from factory. I have a 2015 Rubicon Hard Rock with the Steel bumper and the plastic piece looks flimsy.

Anyone just remove this entirely? Is there any benefit to keeping this plastic frame cover on? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just took mine off in preparation of mounting my winch this week.
It's a trim piece, I hate plastic trim but it looks better with it on.

My winch and winch plate will look better though.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
It just covers up a space. I took mine off too to install a new bumper and winch. I don't even notice the gap left by it's removal. I read where somebody cut theirs down to fit with a new bumper but I'm not that industrious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the only purpose of the plastic bumper cover is cosmetic? It doesn't serve any functional purpose at all? The only way to even see that area is if you're standing directly over it so If that's the case I will probably just remove it. Anyone else just take that plastic piece out?

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,660 Posts
zero purpose.

if it wasnt there, people would ask " Am i missing something in this huge gap between the front bumper and grill? I searched and came up with nothing".

·
Registered
5 Posts
I pulled mine a week after I got my JK a little over a year ago. There's a perfect mounting hole down there for a dune flag if you don't want to drill a hole anywhere. I'll mount the flag differently once I've replaced the bumper but until then, it's great. I went all winter with the cover off with no adverse effects.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
So the only purpose of the plastic bumper cover is cosmetic? It doesn't serve any functional purpose at all? The only way to even see that area is if you're standing directly over it so If that's the case I will probably just remove it. Anyone else just take that plastic piece out?
I'm replacing my stock front bumper this weekend, if the weather gods are willing, and I'm planning on taking that piece off and leaving it off.

Not a big fan of plastic, which is why I'm replacing both stock bumpers.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Downing,

what are you replacing your stock bumpers with...which bumpers? I have the Steel HardRock front and rear bumpers and agree the plastic looks and is flimsy. I always wondered what the thing is because when I do wash my Jeep water fills into the squared slots and it's a pain to absorb it all.

If that thing serves no purpose it seems to make sense to just remove it completely like others have done.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Downing,

what are you replacing your stock bumpers with...which bumpers? I have the Steel HardRock front and rear bumpers and agree the plastic looks and is flimsy. I always wondered what the thing is because when I do wash my Jeep water fills into the squared slots and it's a pain to absorb it all.

If that thing serves no purpose it seems to make sense to just remove it completely like others have done.
There are a lot of choices out there.

For the front, I went with the Barricade Trail Force HD. Probably not the greatest bumper but it looks good and the price was certainly right. Although I could put a winch on it, I'm going to hold off for now.

For the rear, I chose the Hyline Offroad Standard. I'm running my stock black rubi wheels, which I love and will keep, and stock tires, which I don't and will eventually replace with 33" Duratrac M/Ts, so I don't need a tire carrier bumper. I really like the look of this bumper plus it allows me to keep my aftermarket hitch that I bought and installed a couple of months ago.

Got a great deal on the Barricade and a decent deal on the Hyline. I'm going to dress up both of them with red D-shackles to match my paint job.

The good news is that stock bumpers are fairly easy to get off and the new bumpers will be even easier to put on. Just for kicks, I asked my friend who works in Parts at my local dealer how much they would charge to install them, and he said about $400 a piece. I almost fainted.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
There are a lot of choices out there.

For the front, I went with the Barricade Trail Force HD. Probably not the greatest bumper but it looks good and the price was certainly right. Although I could put a winch on it, I'm going to hold off for now.
Edit: Changed my mind and decided to go with Hyline Bumpers front and back. Unfortunately the Barricade bumper was already in transit, so I'm going to have to deal with shipping it back. Extreme Terrain was extremely gracious about it, and they're even letting me send it back for their $10 flat rate, which is a great deal for a large box weighing 71 pounds.

So the rear bumper should arrive this week and the front bumper and skid plate the week after.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts