Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen several videos showing how to do different mechanical and maintenance tasks on the JK and noticed that there's a lot of of them where the plastic cover is no longer on the engine. I know on some it's for clarity of the video but is that cover really necessary in day to day operation? What purpose does it really serve? I don't know how much noise reduction it would offer but does it have anything to do with air flow over the engine? There was one on my FJ Cruiser too and I know a lot of people took them off and left them off on theirs.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Take it off and heat burritos

Reactions: Captain Skip

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I think one reason it is there is to muffle the tick that 3.6's often have. it comes from valve clatter and from the injectors. I keep mine on because it keeps dust out the nooks and crannies on top of the engine area. easier to wipe the cover down than everything under neath it. Me likes a clean motor compartment :)

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Nope just there to be pretty. Doesn't really even do anything but that. That said, I keep mine on because I am all about presentation...lol.
Yes.. They're often referred to as beauty covers. Unlike in the old days, the top of modern engines are covered in a mess of wires, sensors and hoses so the cover makes things neater.

They are padded so as jadmt points out, they must reduce noise to some degree. I guess they also do a decent job of keeping dust and splashes off the top of the engine. Other than that, I can't see why they're needed.

I keep mine on too. It's no big deal to take it off and replace it.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Not needed, but I don’t have a good reason to remove it. It’s not like the engine is some masterpiece to look at.

Reactions: Captain Skip

·
Retired Moderator
100,556 Posts
Mine went in file 13, as soon as I got it home.

Reactions: pfleury32

·
Premium Member
9,581 Posts
Yep mine is history, added something that might be useful instead:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Its there to keep the engine dry if you check the oil in a downpour rain. It's also part of the smog device so you can't remove it. If you do remove it you will get better MPG and a lot more power. all LOL!!! Really, if anything it's for a little noise and possible to heat up the engine quicker to get that .000001 mpg.

·
Premium Member
9,581 Posts
Reactions: jadmt and JHD1827

·
Registered
149 Posts
Flip a coin?

I take my cover off long enough to detail the engine bay (hand wipe) then put it back on.
SAME HERE. I have the hard rock vented hood, and living in the desert, I cut the vents about 300% larger. When washing the vehicle, the water drops through the vents and on to that cover, then over the engine to the ground. If the cover were not there, I have no clue how long that water might sit in the nooks and crannies of the top end of the motor.

Some say it doesn't do anything. I say it isn't hurting anything either. Your call..... flip a coin?

Mike-5 --El Paso, Texas.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Back in the day,,, when you opened the hood you saw the engine and they looked awesome. But then the 80's and the engines got burred with all kinds of smog crap and they looked well, very bad. You couldn't even see the thing under all the hoses and God knows what. I can't remember who did it first but then they put that plastic cover over everything just to hide the crap, now they all do it. It's cosmetic and for no real reason other than to hide what you really don't want to see.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The cover is there for the animal lobby. Mice make nests with the insulation under the cover. How do I know? That smoke coming from my grill at stop lights. Mine's in the attic of my garage now. The mice can make all the nests they want up there without chewing up the wiring while they're at it.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I test-drove some 3.6L JLs yesterday (not a fan) and I noticed the cover is about 50% smaller. It has a U-shaped cut-out in the front, I guess to make it faster/easier to change the oil. (Not sure if this picture will show up since it's hijacked from another forum.)

My wife's engine cover is hanging on the wall in the garage, right next to the cover from her Solstice GXP that we sold a couple years ago (oops).

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
I take my off in the spring, and put it back on in the late fall. Does that matter? To me it does and that's all the matters. LOL I figure the engine will cool a bit faster w/o it in the warmer months, and warm up faster and retain heat a little longer in the colder months.

Reactions: Old Dogger
1 - 20 of 25 Posts