Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little rant here. I am ready to say good-bye to my lifted 4x4 Xterra and get back into a jeep (unlimited rubicon hopefully). Just got back from a test drive and loved everything about it except for the piece of crappy plastic up front on the trade-mark signature slotted grille. I hate to use this expression but WTF?

Is anyone else mildly preturbed by this? I don't know if this will be a deal breaker for me but damn... it's friggin' plastic. I guess I am just used to the nice solid metal grille on the '97 TJ I used to have a long time ago. I still can't get over it. It's not even hard plastic. It's almost like rubber.

Fred

·
Registered
489 Posts
Its designed to take impacts be lightweight,and it takes almost no effort to remove it to access stuff under it.....whats the problem.......metals heavy and it rusts and dents....I think its a great Idea.....M2Cents anyway for what its worth......bout a penny I reckon:D

·
Registered
339 Posts
Buy the Jeep, but plastic sucks. Gary is right tho, it's lighter and dent resistant, but It wont last 20yrs like my TJ grill will.
It also costs 68 dollars, PAINTED. How much is a TJ grille?? :D Its just change, people. It also takes about a min to remove to help in any type of repair when needed. When was the last time you took your TJ grille off????

Joe

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
It also costs 68 dollars, PAINTED. How much is a TJ grille?? :D Its just change, people. It also takes about a min to remove to help in any type of repair when needed. When was the last time you took your TJ grille off????

Joe
Whoa! I wasn't trying to start a fight :crash: Just my opinion is all... I don't like plastic, it has many advantages however. But so does good ol fashioned steel.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Whoa! I wasn't trying to start a fight :crash: Just my opinion is all... I don't like plastic, it has many advantages however. But so does good ol fashioned steel.
I apologize that I Came off that way. Didnt mean it to sound like that. :D Remember, I own Both!!! I LOVE my TJ for down and dirty, nasty, gettin' it wheelin. HOWEVER the JK is my fav for driving with the air on, Sirrius jammin, moderate wheelin and spanking TJ's in drag races.....:D

Joe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess it'll just take a little getting used to. Maybe someone will make an aftermarket grille or I might get that chrome plastic one that jeep makes. I was just shocked when I saw and felt the plastic yesterday.:doh: I don't think it will prevent me from getting a JK unlimited in the very near future.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Aside from the plastic parts, I think you'll enjoy the JK unlimited.
Tomorrow I'm loading mine up for a week in the mountains. The Unlimited has the capability to get you where you want to go and the capacity to carry your gear.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I looked at both before I bought the TJ. I like what the stock JK can do off road, but I like the classic look. (granted it's not a CJ, but I wanted it to be modern too)

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
All vehicles are going plastic these days. Before long, they'll have wings and will fly!
:rofl: That doesn't sound too far from the truth!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
actually there was an article about that in popular mechanics like a year ago, so that means it will become reality in about 60 yrs.
it seems thats the way pop. mechanics works, always right but like it take a friggen long time!!

and i agree i lik esteel but if i tget dented or broken like joe said its only $68!!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
actually there was an article about that in popular mechanics like a year ago, so that means it will become reality in about 60 yrs.
it seems thats the way pop. mechanics works, always right but like it take a friggen long time!!

and i agree i lik esteel but if i tget dented or broken like joe said its only $68!!
Are you calling me old again? :crash:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts