Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My windshield hinges and door hinges have seen better days. I've decided to plasti-dip both of them but the drivers side windshield hinge has rust. Not sure if I should just plasti-dip over it because I don't want it to look like crap. Any suggestions as to what to do?

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Take it off or tape it off. Remove most if not all surface rust. Prime. Repaint. Then plasti dip. You need a good surface for the plastic dip to adhere to. If you don't remove the rust it will just bubble through and get worse.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I would use a very fine grit that is wet/dry and just sand enough to clean it up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did mine 2 weeks ago.. I removed the hinges, sanded the rust (What I was able to do by hand anyways) Primed, Duplicolor painted, and than added a Duplicolor Clear coat. Total cost was around $45.00.. and still have some left over to do other touch ups. The color is pretty much dead on, maybe a hair lighter but I haven't waxed it yet so that might change it.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Putting Plastidip over the top of rust is like putting a band-aid over a skin cancer. It might look better but the underlying problem is still there. I'd get rid of the rust, not just cover it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts