Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm thinking about starting my first project with plastidip on my billet. Does anyone have any suggestions? Tips? How long does it last with say 4 or 5 coats? What if I want to go back to factory paint? Just any insight you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
552 Posts
As far as wait time goes, it quick. I did all 5 wheels and only waited 10-15 min to after finishing the #5 before going back to add the next coat to #1.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
What if I want to go back to factory paint? Just any insight you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I think the big draw behind plastidip is that if you ever get tired of it, you can simply peel it off, give it a good wash and you're back to the original paint, as it was before you put it on.

I was going to say good as new, but if your jeep doesn't still look new when you put it on I didn't want to be accused to false advertising. :rofl:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the big draw behind plastidip is that if you ever get tired of it, you can simply peel it off, give it a good wash and you're back to the original paint, as it was before you put it on.

I was going to say good as new, but if your jeep doesn't still look new when you put it on I didn't want to be accused to false advertising. :rofl:
So should I be cautious and avoid it when washing or is it more durable than that

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry to jump in... But, where's the best place to buy plastic dip? Not having much luck finding all the colors here in western PA.

·
Registered
452 Posts
If you're going to do your grille, you may want to search for the other plasti dip threads and look at their pictures. A lot of people remove the grille to make it easier and keep the spray away from their engine. As far as locating different colors, you may have to order it online.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you're going to do your grille, you may want to search for the other plasti dip threads and look at their pictures. A lot of people remove the grille to make it easier and keep the spray away from their engine. As far as locating different colors, you may have to order it online.
I planned on taking the grill off and doing it in black, I just want to be able to easily make the switch back to factory if I choose too. And I was curious about its durability

·
Registered
452 Posts
It's pretty durable. There's a guy who did his whole Jeep in plasti dip and hasn't had problems. Most people say anywhere from a year to longer depending on where you use it and what you do (rock crawl, mall crawl). To remove it, WD-40 is supposed to break it down a little to make it easier to remove.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I planned on taking the grill off and doing it in black, I just want to be able to easily make the switch back to factory if I choose too. And I was curious about its durability

Proceed when the weather is really nice and dry. 80-90 deg outside temp is about perfect.

How to plasti dip the front grill

Step 1
Remove the grille and clean really well. Make sure the surface is dry before proceeding to step 2.

Step 2
Spray the grill evenly going side to side; up down with plastidip from about 8 inches away. Spray so lightly at first that you just see dusting on the grill. Wait about 20 minutes or until the first coat is dry. Repeat spraying with a more heavier coat then the first one. Wait to dry. Repeat the cycle 2-3 times until you have a total of about 5 coats and nice thick black finish.

Plastidip is very durable to the elements. I had my dodge durango dipped. I power washed the wheels on occasion, but i did this from a far approach.

I had to take a pressure washer to it and so I could get the OEM look before I got rid of it.

It took me about 2 days to get the durango done. Rims can be done in about 2-3 hours. Grille should take about 60-90 minutes.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Be sure to put on lots of coats in several applications. If you don't get it on very thick and decide to take it off, the thinner areas are going to simply come off in small pieces and be a pain in the butt. Trust me, this happened to me yesterday after removing the plasti dip for the second time in favor of bedliner on my grill.

Wash/dry the grill very well. Then apply several light coats all over the grill. Be sure to spray the inlets very well around the edges. The first time I sprayed, I didn't get the inlets well and within a couple of weeks, the plasti-dip started to peal off.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Sorry to jump in... But, where's the best place to buy plastic dip? Not having much luck finding all the colors here in western PA.
You are not going to find colors in stores. Those are online only. Home Depot carries black, and Ace has black and white.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I hate plasti-dip. I've used it 3 times. I did the grill twice. I removed it right after both times. It had a weird shiny spots. Both times is was a major pain in the ass to get the last 10-20% off. You want to make sure you put it on thick to avoid issues. I also did my wheels with a can a peice. It stayed on good for about a year. Then it took about 5 hours of peeling and rubbing with goo-gone to get it all off. When it's on it is pretty durable. You can pressure wash it if you don't hit the edges too hard. It won't break in the middle. If it starts to peal then your screwed. It's great for blacking out the Jeep logo on the front.

TIP
Don't use the end of the cans. Near the end it will start spitting out instead of spraying.

Skip plasti-dip and just get some vinyl wrap. I think a sheet 5'X2' would work. It will also peel off later.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts