Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive decided to plastidip my grille and all hinges on my TJ, do I need to scuff everything before I spray it or can I spray over the factory paint? Also the paint on my grille is chipped pretty good , will plastidip fill in the chips?

·
Registered
501 Posts
From what I understand, you do not need to scuff the surface. One of the "selling points" of the plastidip is the ability to peel off the plastidip and go back to the original stuff. If your grill is already chipped you might consider getting some fine sandpaper, scuff it up, and use spray on bedliner instead of plastidip. It is more permanent but I would say it's a bit more durable.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I think I'll probably have to sand the grille down, only thing is if I don't like the look of the plastidip and peel it off ill have to repaint the grille

·
Registered
15 Posts
Using rattle cans, I've always gotten a little bit of texture from my plasti-dip, so if the paint chips aren't too deep, they may just blend in with the texture you get from plasti-dip. You do not need to sand or primer any sections that you're going to dip, but they do recommend cleaning the area with denatured alcohol and letting it air dry first.

·
Registered
551 Posts
So Ive decided to plastidip my grille and all hinges on my TJ, do I need to scuff everything before I spray it or can I spray over the factory paint? Also the paint on my grille is chipped pretty good , will plastidip fill in the chips?
No need to scuff anything- we just did this on my cousins Jeep. Especially if you are using black, it will be harder to see any chips, but you'll never be able to fill them in and have it smooth unless you bondo'd or used some other kind of means to get it smooth.

Here, I did a write up on it last week actually-

How to plasti dip a jeep Grille

I need to go back since I forgot one step at the beginning and that was after taped everything off, I had him wipe the entire surface down with rubbing alchol to make sure all the greases/oils were off the surface to be painted. It has held up through creeks, bushes, trails, mudding, etc and it has been on for 2 months or so now.

Any questions just shoot...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts