Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Forum,

Been reading everyone's posts for quite some time. This is really a great place for all things Jeep.

I've recently noticed that the pinion seal on the Dana 35 had been leaking around the nut. It was flinging the gear oil everywhere including the exhaust. When driving for long periods of time the Jeep would really smell. This past weekend I had mustered up the courage to change the seal on my own. I followed the multitude of guides found on this forum, so won't go into details there (I did the long version, measuring torque and all). I noted that there was a metal flake on the housing.

Note in the picture the "2 o'clock position"

A few days later I noticed that the freaking seal is now leaking again, maybe worse than before. What a let down.

Now the question I ask is what do I do next? I do not do any serious crawling or mudding, but the jeep does see trails 3 or 4 times a year. I've called dealers (Chrysler does not ship complete dana 44 assemblies any longer) and 4wheelparts looking for options. 4wheelparts wants close to 3000 for a G2 Dana 44 with 4.10 gears. This would also result in me re-gearing the 3.07 in my front dana 30, so plus 1000 to that. Re-gearing may be even more expensive as I am pretty sure the dana 30 with 3.07 needs a new carrier to go to a 4.10.

Since this is my toy and second car, do I sell the thing and look for a Rubi? Buy a new 2014? look for a new hobby? suck it up and buy the parts? Or change the seal/take it to a shop?

Thanks for all the input!

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
Did you replace the crush sleeve? When my mechanic replaced the seal on mine, when I got home it was still leaking. I brought it back and he said that he must have damaged the crush sleeve

·
Registered
390 Posts
I am no expert but from what I read, If you used a impact gun on the nut when putting it back in or over torquing it, you probably crushed the crush sleeve or you drove the new seal in crooked

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'm entertaining the option of selling and getting a rubicon. But for the premium you pay for a rubicon you're better off regearing yourself as it comes out to be close to the same or cheaper. The 3 grand g2 axles have disc brakes. You can opt for the other version and reuse your drums. But then your also transferring used drums instead of getting brand new brake system. You could always find a d35 3.07 gears for around $200

·
Administrator
12,502 Posts
You have several options..fix the current problem.. Or

try car-parts.com for a complete replacement used axle.. or a rear dana 44 for a TJ to bolt in..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I found a Dana 44 within 100 miles of me. It has 100K miles on it from a wrangler sport. 900 bucks. Seem a little over priced?

Edit: The wrangler it's coming out of was wrecked. Comes with drum brakes and 3.73 gears.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Yea I found a Dana 44 within 100 miles of me. It has 100K miles on it from a wrangler sport. 900 bucks. Seem a little over priced?
I'd offer them 750.00. Heck I might pay that for it just for ease of install (assuming it has same gears as your front.)

If you can weld you can drop in a 8.8 for about a grand. If you can't they become stupid $$.

might also call a local salvage yard...there's a network of salvage yards all over the country that can be a great deal at times.

·
Administrator
12,502 Posts

Edit: The wrangler it's coming out of was wrecked. Comes with drum brakes and 3.73 gears.
about the going rate and lower than in some places... make an offer. .also look to see if you can fine a front dana 30 with the same gears for less than the cost of the gear swap and your set...

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Where do you think you went wrong with the seal? I did not get mine in straight. Redid it and Boom Baby!!!!

IS it the pinion itself? Is it worn where the seal goes around it?

It could be that you crushed the sleave, but if you followed directions, measured and such, I doubt this is the problem.

If you have the money, this would be a great time to pick up a D44 and install it, but like you said, you would have to regear the front too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea I read posts on here for months, spoke to mechanic pals, the whole nine yards. I thought I did the thing right. I will probably give it another go here in the next few weeks, or just suck it up and have 4 wheel parts in Raleigh, NC do the job. They just quoted me 120 bucks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To add insult to injury, I tried to start up the Jeep this morning and the battery was dead. I sheared off that stupid screw that holds the battery to the mount when changing it as well.

Not happy.

·
Registered
665 Posts
From the pic. It looks like someone was pretty hard on that housing trying to get the seal changed at one time. That part can be cleaned up with some emery cloth. That part of the seal is metal to metal anyway. From the way you are describing the leakage I would look to the rubber part of the seal. Hate to see someone spend the money on something that can be fixed relatively easy. JMO. Check for slop it the pinion shaft or burrs that would tear a seal up..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts