Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
The yellow plug is you video feed. That goes to the video input of your head unit.
The red is power/ground. If your head unit is compatible it plug in for power. If not you'll have to either cut the red plug off and tap one to positive and one to negative. They sell a plug that you plug into the red rca and the other end is bare wire making it easier.

☞Sent from here☜

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
Three are two way to power these cameras.

You can either power it with red and ground it with black.

Or power with red with the ground being part of the RCA (yellow).

Yellow is video AND ground.

I ran my Gino by running red, yellow and black all the way back to my Lockpick unit.

I ran my babycam (just a forward facing/non reverse license plate cam mounted to my roll bar) with just yellow and red.

My father-in-law is a retired head electrician at a nuclear power plant. He is the one that told be that these low power cameras can be grounded through the RCA shielding in the connector.

They give you a couple of options depending on where you tap your power source.

To test the camera, you might be able to power it from a fresh 9v battery.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Three are two way to power these cameras.

You can either power it with red and ground it with black.

Or power with red with the ground being part of the RCA (yellow).

Yellow is video AND ground.

I ran my Gino by running red, yellow and black all the way back to my Lockpick unit.

I ran my babycam (just a forward facing/non reverse license plate cam mounted to my roll bar) with just yellow and red.

My father-in-law is a retired head electrician at a nuclear power plant. He is the one that told be that these low power cameras can be grounded through the RCA shielding in the connector.

They give you a couple of options depending on where you tap your power source.

To test the camera, you might be able to power it from a fresh 9v battery.
Good info. Need to save this for future reference

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Depending on the ground from the video connector is not a particularly good idea. There is a great deal of stray capacitance, inductance, and resistance on long ground wires. Ground the camera with a short ground wire and a lug to ground.

Joe

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I installed my camera and I think my camera is hooked up ok however on my screen I get this message (screen image may appear reversed). This is even when I'm in drive also screen is black. My head unit is a pioneer avh 8500. If anybody has experienced this issue before and would have advise I would appreciate it. Thanks. Dan

·
Registered
676 Posts
Zombie thread. But maybe someone can chime in. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right. I installed my camera yesterday. But haven't had the dealer flash yet.

Just want to confirm. If I splice into reverse light at the back of the Jeep, and use the provided red RCA for power and black wire for ground... I don't need to hook the red wires that attach to the yellow video cable to anything?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Zombie thread. But maybe someone can chime in. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right. I installed my camera yesterday. But haven't had the dealer flash yet.

Just want to confirm. If I splice into reverse light at the back of the Jeep, and use the provided red RCA for power and black wire for ground... I don't need to hook the red wires that attach to the yellow video cable to anything?
The camera has a yellow RCA and red RCA. The yellow RCA plugs into an adapter and then into a ~15' yellow RCA and runs the length of the wrangler. The yellow RCA plugs into the back of the pca adapter for the radio (430 RBZ in my case).

The red RCA plugs into a black RCA that has a red and black wire split at the end exposing the bare copper wires. This is soldered to the passenger side reverse light.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The camera has a yellow RCA and red RCA. The yellow RCA plugs into an adapter and then into a ~15' yellow RCA and runs the length of the wrangler. The yellow RCA plugs into the back of the pca adapter for the radio (430 RBZ in my case).

The red RCA plugs into a black RCA that has a red and black wire split at the end exposing the bare copper wires. This is soldered to the passenger side reverse light.

I hope this helps.
That is what we did, but the yellow cable also has a red wire on each end with a stripped end. I think from what I've read here, those are an optional way to power the camera?

But we just taped them up and used the red rca for power from the reverse light.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I tested my gino 1/4' ccd camera with a 9v battery and a little 19" tv.

Once I was confident with my camera location, I plugged the yellow RCA from the back of the camera into the tv. I did this to make sure I had the camera oriented properly and to make sure I had the hot wire and ground properly installed. I'd suggest connecting a little tv to the yellow rca and put the jeep in reverse.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts