Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My jeep is stuck on the side of the road right now.

It won't go into any gear. The lever seems stuck and when I force it to move by tapping down the pin, it free plays forward and back but doesn't seem to be connected to the transmission.

Anyone got any suggestions before I get the damn thing towed?

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Can you put the t-case in N and try moving the gear selector?

·
Administrator
30,781 Posts
99 and 44/100% sure your shifter cable has come loose or is broken. Happened to mine about 2 months ago. Pretty easy to fix.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
what year & trans?

if its a 42RLE, there are 2 broken shifter problems that are very common. One requires ordering chinese food and modifying the chopsticks. the other requires drilling a small hole in a bracket on the side of the tranny and inserting a modified stubby bolt.

·
Administrator
30,781 Posts
He's got an 06LJ auto.

·
Administrator
30,781 Posts
If he has tools and the part. Unfortunately the part if broken is not repairable.

This is the cable
0907101931-00.jpg
The center of this is what has broken out. Compare it to the other end shown in the picture above
0907101931-01.jpg

·
Administrator
30,781 Posts

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I stand corrected. It can be fixed.

Great write ups, I wish I had known before I shelled out the cash for replacement.
don't worry, you'll get another chance when the replacement part breaks too. :rofl:

my cable has somehow lasted 74k miles, but they usually break every 40k or so. the little plastic crap in the shifter only lasts 30k or so. i replaced the shifter 3 times before conceeding to the replacement parts being crap and went to the chopsticks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everyone was spot on. Neighbor with a jeep pegged the problem right off. Seems that the shifter cable design isn't very good. I was able to put a snap ring on to hold the cable to the pin.

Neighbor said you had to buy the whole cable.

I'm back in action.

Not the best way to start the new year but at least it wasn't a major problem.

Thanks for all the quick replies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts