Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I was just outside about to put rear shocks on my 93 yj until I notice both shock mounts on the body were completey rusted off. Which led me to see all the rest of the frame rust. Should I send it to the metal graveyard. If not how much could I get a frame for use.

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
As with any vehicle and extensive rust issues or you can make that decision. Rust on that level does not happen overnight... Very often people fail to crawl under their vehicles and do regularly scheduled inspection of parts rust condition etc. Doing the frame swap a vehicle that age will be difficult to say the least! First you have to find a frame that's worth all the time and energy to do a swap. Then you have to get all the parts off of yours and many of them will be rusted tight! If the rest of the vehicle is in fairly good shape quite honestly it might be worth more money to you for yours to parted out and then put that money into a newer vehicle... Good luck!

·
Registered
693 Posts
From what I see, eBay lists frames in good condition running from $800 - $1800. At least gives you an idea of the general price range. Brand new mandrel bent frames go for ~$2700 (not including shipping).

Check with local junkyards to see what they have, maybe see what pops up on Craigslist. For the right price it could be worth it, but it will be a good amount of work to swap everything over and particularly so if rust is an issue.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think that most of us YJ-ers who live in a climate with any type of precipitation deal with frame rust wether it be surface rust or rusted through. My frame has 2 rusted through spots, rear shackles (repaired) skid plate mounts(not repaired and skid plate is fastened from the top of the frame. If you do a frame swap you have to take everything apart anyways, so maybe you can get the body off of the frame and weld it up and give it a good coat of bedliner. It would probably save you a good amount of time and money as opposed to swapping everything off of the frame and on to a new one

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quadratec sells frame parts that can be welded on to replace the bad stuff. My drivers side rear shackle mount was completely rotted away and the pass side was getting there. Cut away the bad stuff and after a little trimming, welded in the 3 sided precut frame section. Cleaned the pass side and strengthened it with some flat steel. They sell sections for the frame and everything on the frame.
Heck of a lot less headache than a complete frame swap.

·
Registered
405 Posts
eBay has pretty good prices on frame replacement pieces. I only spent about $60 compared to Quadratec's $150 replacement pieces.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feel the jeep bug nibbling on me right now. I'm really trying to push towards getting all new frame pieces that are rusted through, new shock mounts and hundreds of other things. But as always money will be an issue. Hopefully I can put pictures of my frame up soon to seek guidance in what parts to get from you jeep experts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts