Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon folks,

I have had upper/lower ball joints, uper/lower control arms, new cam bolts, front heavy duty steering stabilizer, tie rod end, track bar, and new springs and shocks put on my 2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon (114,000 miles, 5 speed).

This solved the death wobble for 3,000+ miles. I was in TX for the summer and when I hit the NY border the wobble came back. The bolt on the track mounting bolt was found to be loose.... death wobble happened again after it was tightened.

My mechanic is out of ideas other then a steering gear box (there is grinding and play in it) or wheel bearings (but tests seem to show that they are ok).

The Jeep has 2.5" skyjacker springs with 2.5" rated quadratec shocks in front. And a .75" quadratec puck lift in the rear.

Wobble comes about at highway speeds and is very violent.

I am sorry if this is a old thread. I've done alot of research and cant figure out what's wrong with my jeep. I hope someone can help. I saved throughout HS for four years for it and it means alot to me. I am a college student on a budget and hope this can be resolved.

Thank you so very much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WatlooBoy,

Thank you for your response. I do appreciate it.

The front tires I have (Goodyear Wrangler A/T Kevlar - 31"s) were switched out for Cooper Discover AT3s and the death wobble still occured with those AT3s.

·
Registered
285 Posts
How are the axle upper control arm bushings? Any play in those?
I would still revisit the tires. It's very easy to have tires on a tj be out of balance it has to be very precise. Take it to a good shop and make sure that they will take the time to balance them right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Mattific,

I believe the control arm bushing are good, new control arms were put in and when I got back to NY (from TX) my mechanic concluded that there was only play in the steering gear box (after tightening the track bar mount).

It certainly wouldn't help to look into the balnace of the tires of the bushings again.

In y'alls experience could a bad steering box cause the wobble?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ok if youve already replaced a ton of parts and are still having the problem. Youre most likely getting deathwobble from the track bar bushings either being worn or wallowed out from incorrectly sized bolt, KNOWN MOPAR MISTAKE THEY REFUSE TO FIX, what I recommend is replace your front track bar bushing with a Moog one and make sure you take the little metal tube in the middle of the new bushing and go to a hard ware store and get a properly sized bolt with minimal play between bolt and bushing. And make sure your rear track bar is in good shape and nothing is loose.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Folks,

My mechanic told me all bushings with the rebuild have been replaced.....

Other then wheel bearings, alignment, tires unbalanced, and the steering gear box - not sure what to tackle next to solve the DW.

Thank you for yalls help.

Any additional info is appreciated.

-Colin

·
Commercial Member
8,747 Posts
The only thing you can align is the toe in (and a small caster adjustment if you have cam bolts).
Take a tape measure to front tires and check yourself. Front edge of tires compared to back edge of tires should be approx 1/16" shorter.

Next in line$$ wise is the balance and rotate. Be sure they get them exact, not just close enough.
What is your tire pressure currently?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.