Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new here and this is my first post. I was wondering if some one could help me. I just bought a 1991 jeep wrangler with a rebuilt 4.0 and only 4,000 since rebuild and 128,xxx on body for $2400. I bought it for a new toy and I love it but I can't get the 4x4 to work. I can shift in 4x4 but it won't stay in 4x4. For example I can put it in 4x4 low and hold it in place and it will work but if I let go it pops out. I also can't even get it in 4x4 high. It would be nice if someone could tell me what's wrong. Thanks

·
Registered
427 Posts
You would have to pass 4hi to get into 4lo. Don't know why it wouldn't work in 4hi. If it isn't staying in position, it could be a linkage issue to the transfer case. If the front tires aren't getting power, it could be the front axle disconnect system malfunctioning. It runs off vacuum and connects the passenger side wheel when the transfer case is moved into 4wd. The transfer case also has a vacuum switch that is known to go bad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts