Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m having some issues with my 2009 Jeep Liberty Limited 3.6 sometimes running hot and would greatly appreciate any suggestions on what it could be/how to go about it. My heater hasn’t worked since I got the Jeep a year ago but of course I didn’t notice this until it was winter and I didn’t have a heater. Other than it not working I initially wasn’t having any other issues and so I sucked it up and went thru the winter without a heater. I started to smell antifreeze in the car occasionally and would often fog up as there seemed to be condensation inside the car. Then 2-3 months ago I had my water pump completely go out. I got this replaced and hoped that it would solve the heater issue as well.

It didn’t. The blower has worked fine and the passenger floorboard wasn’t wet. I also checked both heater core hoses and they both seemed to be working as both were hot to the touch without any cool spots. A little less than a month after the water pump was replaced, I started to notice the smell of antifreeze again. I topped it off but didnt notice any leaking. Then the issues with the temperature rising started.

If I don’t have either the vents on or the a/c on, the temp starts to rise. Ive never let it get passed 3/4 once I figured out running the vents on any temp or the a/c prevented the temp from rising.

I’ve been driving with the air on and hadn’t had any issues as its kept coolant and didn’t appear to be leaking. Well last week I took it to a shop to have some dents pulled after my neighbor kids shot my Jeep with mortar fireworks and damaged the body. I had told the shop about my issues and they took a look at it but did so after telling me their mechanic isn’t extremely knowledgeable....They told me they believed it was either my thermostat or a head gasket. They said the main fan wasn’t kicking on but the heater seemed to work fine. He told me that he was surprised I made it to the shop and didnt overheat. He said he put coolant in it and the next day it had all leaked out. I told him I have been driving it regularly doing doordash without any issues and never have had it leak out coolant like that. Unfortunately after I drove it home from his shop today I started having new issues.

The temp started to rise even with the air on accompanied by a new whining sound coming from the engine. Its a faint whine that is really noticeable at idle when its not somewhat masked by the usual tire noise. I am worried they maybe messed something up looking at it at the body shop. I haven’t got a chance to check the coolant tonight as its still hot but like I said before it was never loosing coolant like they had said. Also, since they messed with it the air doesnt seem to be blowing out nearly as strong from the vents as it usually does.

I had someone tell me once in the past at the start of my issues that I might need a new thermostat. My concern is the whining sound and the fan not kicking on along with the vents not blowing strong anymore. Does anyone know where I should start or what this could be? Thank you so much for reading all this and making it to the end of my novel I really do appreciate it

·
Super Moderator
12,921 Posts
Welcome to the Wrangler Forum Nbay08,

Someone here should be able to make a suggestion.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts