Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide between two 2013 JKUs. This would be a 2nd family vehicle, mall crawler, taxi for kids, no off-roading, no lifts or larger tires, no towing, and will be shared with wife. I'm really stuck on which one to go for. The Sahara seems to be the better deal but not sure if it's worth getting all the extras although the price is right. What do you all think?

Choice 1: Sport S
Color: Rock Lobster. I think I really like it but somewhat apprehensive about going so bold. But, liking it more and more everyday!

Would add Ace rails and amp/speakers aftermarket.

Has all the options I was interested in except for the 3.73 axle. Thought the 3.73 would be a good idea after reading all the threads, but probably not necessary (not sure).

Choice 2 Sahara
Would only cost another $1,100 out-the-door over the Sport S (including the cost of the aftermarket Ace rails and amp/speakers). It has the same options as the Sport S plus others.

Color: Billet (our initial 1st choice)

Incremental Std Equip

• side-steps (prefer Ace rails for possible protection in a side impact crash)
  • alpine premium audio (probably good enough)
  • subwoofer (would prefer to have the extra space in the back if not needed)
  • 115-volt outlet (nice to have but indifferent)
  • Auto headlamps (nice to have but indifferent)
  • painted fenders (favor the non-painted somewhat)
  • heavy duty suspension (doesn't seem to matter)
  • 18" wheels (slight preference for these)
  • Bridgestone tires (seem better than Goodyears on Sport)
  • Soundproofing (doesn't seem to matter)
  • bumper color (don't care)
Incremental options above Sport S

• 3.73 axle ($195)
  • Auto Temp ($155)
  • Remote Start ($495) (cool toy but see no real reason for it)
Help!!!! Any thoughts? I'm going through analysis-paralysis! :confused: :banghead:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I find the 115v outlet useful to keep my wife happy on long journeys (means she can keep her laptop, iPad etc charged).

Seeing as the only thing you really seem to want off the Sahara is the wheels, in your position I'd buy the Sport and get a set of Sahara take-offs on CL. You can add your amp and speakers more easily and cheaply without having to deal with the nightmares of the Premium Audio package, you'll get your extra space in the rear without the subwoofer, and you'll get your non-painted fenders.

They're both good colour choices, personally I prefer billet but colour is an entirely individual thing.

Remote start is only useful if you live somewhere really cold and want to get the Jeep running for a few minutes before you go anywhere. If you find you need it, you can add an after market remote start for half of the cost.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Saharas don't really have heavy duty suspension. It's the same coils as in the sport. The rubicon and sahara just get different shocks, but other than that, they are all the same springs. Spring rates of the coils is pretty random. Hard top, tow package and 4 doors means you are more likely to get stiffer springs, but not guaranteed.

Also I don't think the saharas have more sound insulation unless it comes with a hardtop liner.

Sounds like a lot of things on the Sahara you're indifferent to. I'm not sure if its worth the money in that case. Although its only $1000 more so having those options might be nice to have and you might get more on resale

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
Quick correction...

All three models have different shocks. The suspsensions are labled as follows:

Sport - Normal duty
Sahara - Heavy duty
Rubi - Performance

But outside of the shocks, the suspensions are the same. The spring rates will vary as well, but that isn't model exclusive.

Sahara's and Rubi's have hood insulation.

But honestly, if you are getting a 4 door, I would go with the one that has 3.73's...simply to get the 3500 pound tow rating.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you like the non painted fender flares have the dealer swap the color ones for the black ones. I'm sure they would.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I am partial to the Sahara because of the fenders, body colored hardtop and all the creature comfort BS. It works perfectly fine offroad. The 115 volt connector is VERY useful for the cell phones and Kindle. I never thought I would like the Uconnect bluetooth feature but it is great. Streaming from the cell to the bluetooth is nice since I have 300 CD's worth of mp3's immediately available without listening to some DJ with diarrhea of the mouth.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have Rick lobster sahara. Likes painted fenders and all the upgrades I could roll into car payments.

Didnt want to piecemeal each thing . Also, didnt rubicon cause of the extras I would not use but have to maintain. Four wheeling light round here. Dirt and sand mostly

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Depending on the terrain where you live, the 3.73 may be even more beneficial for everyday driving.

·
Registered
395 Posts
For $1100 more... I'd be all over that Sahara.

Better Road manners (Not the same shocks as Sport)
3.73 makes it way quicker off the line and more tow capacity.
I've learned to love my painted fenders. (I have the black hard top, that I prefer)
Leather Steering wheel
Tinted windows
I have not seen the Auto temp work in extreme outdoor temps yet but I really like it for now.
Once I got spoiled with auto lights, I really want them from now on.
The bridgestone tires are a better tire than the wranglers on the Sport
The 115v outlet is nice but a small inverter does the trick but takes up room and adds clutter.

About the sound system, I was really worried before getting my Jeep with all the negative comments I was reading on here. Well, I used to be a soundman in my previous life, and toured across Canada extensively and a few times across the pond. Although I do not consider myself an "Audiophile" per se, because I know a few "Audiophiles" and they are way too fussy for me, I am very satisfied with the system in my Sahara, I have the 430N. When listening to my Ipod or music from the built-in HDD it is plenty good enough for me. However the sound of the SAT music is barely listenable.

The Billet color was my only other color choice, but I ended up going with CG.

Good luck, but you will enjoy either one you get.

dp

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would say get the Sahara. For reasons others have mentioned. The 115v outlet is worth it alone. Why? Any trips you have (be it short or long), plug an extension cord in, and your wife/kids can keep their iPods/iPads/Nintendo/PS Vita plugged in and charged. It is a complete lifesaver for the kids.

You can always pick up black fender flares on Craigslist for dirt cheap if you're dead set on black fenders.

One huge thing, is you initially wanted Billet....Get the color you want. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Really? This is a no-brainer: the Sahara is the color you wanted and has everything you were looking for for, what, $20 a month? You can make that up on the back end or by skipping a snack here and there.

Enjoy your new Sahara.

Go.

S

·
Registered
50 Posts
Def get the 3.73 if you can. The rest is just personal preference, and how much you want to spend on frilly stuff.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you don't want painted fenders or the speaker in the trunk, Sport is better for you. But The 3.73 gears alone seem worth the extra thousand bucks. Plus it is the color you want. In the end it is your jeep, buy what you want.

I have a Sahara and while the outlet is nice, is also not a big deal. The speaker in the back, I would be as happy with extra space. Auto lights and AC are nice, but I could live without. Tires, yes I like them. But when thy wear out I will most likely buy 16 or 17" rims and tires. Why? Because 16" tires are significantly cheaper than 18" tires. I personally don't see the worth on autostart systems.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sahara all the way.:thumb:
I went Sahara because of all the additional creature comforts and it will still do all the offroad, hunting and fishing that I want it to do.

Love mine.

Attachments

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
At the time, I really, really, really, really wanted the 115V outlet. I picked up my Wrangler in early November...have not used it once. I don't even know if it works...but I'm glad I have it. (I use the USB ports all the time to charge my phone...or at least keep in from dying).

I do like the shocks and tires on the Sahara.
Hood insulation? Meh... I guess it is nice to have or something....
I despise auto headlights...I never use them.
I dumped the bumper covers day one.
Alpine system...with new speakers it is OK...as long as your are NOT listening to Sirius.
Stock side steps? Well...I mall crawl, so they work well enough for me and my wife. When I was looking at a Sport S, Ace rails were at the top of my list as well.
I'm a fan of my painted fenders. At the time of my order, I also wanted other options only available on the Sahara/Rubi...so my choice was made.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I personally don't see the worth on autostart systems.
My wife likes it because she can start it up from her office window when getting her coat and boots on, and by the time she get to the vehicle it has started to warm up and makes it much easier to clean off the snow on the windows if needed.

I like it because when I do an oil change and want to run it for a minute to check levels, or want to work at it and check how something sounds, I don't have to get inside and turn the key, I can do it with my nose and ears under the hood.

d(from Canada)p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts