Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new jeeper here. I think I am going with the extended warranty. I just don't know which mileage and how many years to pick. :banghead: there are so many damn options. I only drive about 10 -11 K a year. Would you go for the lifetime or just a 7-8 yr warranty. I am considering a 7yr/85K for about 1400. Is this worth it? :confused::confused: Just so u know I can do some maintenance but don't know much about cars. Please help:facepalm: I know by reading this forum most of you know a lot about jeeps and can do your own repairs, please take this post with a grain of salt as I am severely limited in my mechanical knowledge.
Regards
Marc

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
As far as extended warranties go, most consumer advocates will tell you that they are not worth it. You can bank that money, collect the interest, and use that for repairs, when/if needed. Jeeps already come with a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. So, if you still want or think you need an extended warranty, figure out how long you are planning on keeping the jeep, and go from there.

·
Registered
189 Posts
bbtj said:
As far as extended warranties go, most consumer advocates will tell you that they are not worth it. You can bank that money, collect the interest, and use that for repairs, when/if needed. Jeeps already come with a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. So, if you still want or think you need an extended warranty, figure out how long you are planning on keeping the jeep, and go from there.
Interest? That still exists?

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you don't have NAV, you don't "need" the extended warranty.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Whatever you decide to do I would definitely call around and get quotes, maybe try fields as they are a site sponsor. When I had my 4 runner a forum member sold me and many more members a 7/75 for $585.00

·
Registered
552 Posts
Interest; what interest? Plus $1400 wouldn't cover many repairs...It could actually get eaten up & plus some w/just one repair...

If you don't have NAV, you don't "need" the extended warranty.
Huh?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I was faced with the same question as I'm ordering one.

My way of thinking is, I can buy the extended warranty anytime from delivery to when the base warranty expires. I also drive on average 1200 miles a month.

If I get extended now, and then decide in a couple of years to dump the jeep => big loss.

If I don't get it now, but after 2 years decide "the woman is indeed lifelong wife material", then I can get the extended warranty or even a lifetime warranty; although the tag will be higher, I won't be unhappy with that decision.

I would suggest the baby step of finding the difference in price between getting it now vs getting it two years from now, and evaluating if that's a pill you're willing to swallow.

HTH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts