Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... i've been chasing the rattle/grinding from hell for the past few weeks. Symptoms: rattle/grind from what feels like the transmission area in 2wd. Always happens in 5th gear when pressing the gas. Sometimes in 4th when cruising n lightly tapping the gas. Always goes away with foot off the gas...

What ive done to try to fix it (all those things had to be changed eventually anyways) over the past week or so:
-I swapped in a fresher ax15 (80k miles)
-i did NOT change the clutch kit since i put a new one in less than 2k miles ago
-I changed the chain in my TC
-I checked all ujoints
-I changed my driver side hub (it was wobbly)
-I put in new transmission mount and torque arm stud.
-I checked pinion bearings/yokes for play. Checled differential. Nothin there.
-The heat shield is out of the way. The exhaust is clearing the skid plate.

This has been driving me nuts... im gonna get bak at chasing this thing down tomorrow but im runnin fresh out of ideas...

I also just thought of something else that may relate. Whenever i press the clutch pedal in, i do hear a faint clunk (1 single clunk). Doesnt happen everytime but it does happen enuf to notice a little bit.

Here's a vid i took of it. At the 9 second mark, i switch into 5th gear. As soon as i hit the gas after that, u can hear the rattle/tapping/clunking (whatever it is). After 3 or 4 seconds, i took the camera too close to the tunnel so the wind drowned out the sound. Also, once I hit about 60 mph or so, the noise tends to fade away. btw, sry for the bad quality; hard to film while steering, shifting and holding a potato for a cam :rolleyes:

2012-11-07_14-59-01_68 - YouTube

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Couple of questions.
The noise, was it there before you replaced the clutch or did it show up after you replaced it.

Also, on my 95 there is a wire clip that holds the end of the "clutch arm" (the arm that the throw out bearing attaches to) to the ball stud in the bell housing. Maybe that clip is missing or the clips that hold the throw out bearing on are missing. Just a guess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couple of questions.
The noise, was it there before you replaced the clutch or did it show up after you replaced it.

Also, on my 95 there is a wire clip that holds the end of the "clutch arm" (the arm that the throw out bearing attaches to) to the ball stud in the bell housing. Maybe that clip is missing or the clips that hold the throw out bearing on are missing. Just a guess.
Thx for the suggestions. i was able to diagnose the issue today (FINALLY). The guy who did my regear (The one and only time i gave my jeep to anyone else to work on) messed up the gear set up. Seems like a little bit too much backlash. I was able to hit that sweet spot while diagnosing where i could make everything rattle/clunk. Things were making noise in my tranny and in my TC. But the source turned out to be the gears. Too much backlash, which effected everything in the drive train. So, yes, things were rattling in my tranny and TC area (which is why i had such a hard time chasing this thing) but the source was the diff. i feel stupid taking so long to figure this out but hey... live and learn. Thx for the help man.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts