Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm adding a 4ch amp to my '12 JKU Sport to power my front and rear speakers (already have a kicker hideaway sub installed). I have an aftermarket android headunit that was 100% plug and play and everything still works just like factory - so for all intents and purposes I have a "stock headunit". I bought two metra 70-6522 harnesses and one 71-6522 harness to integrate my amp. I plan on powering the amp direct to the battery. I have a few questions as I was unable to locate this information:

1) I know I need two metra 70-6522 harness to steal wires from one to install into the other. Which locations do I need to install the additional wires into? What are these wires for? (I think I read canbus somewhere - steering wheel controls, etc?)

2) Do I still connect the yellow and black wires on the harness even though I will be powering the amp from the battery and grounding to chassis?

3) My amp (ST4.1000D) has two separate plugs for the speaker inputs, each input has pos and neg for each speaker and one single ground wire. What do I do with the ground?

4) I don't believe I need to connect "amp turn on wire" or whatever it's called when I'm installing the amp via speaker wire and not RCA connections. Correct?

I think thats all I've got. If you need some clarity let me know, I'm taking a new medication that makes me feel a little loopy, so I'm sure something isn't clear. I appreciate the help all! I've included a photo of my headunit with wiring.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I soldered and taped up all my speaker connections. After doing so and looking at what I have I think I answered some of my own questions. But others remain.

I will (now obviously) have to connect the yellow and black (power and ground) because that will power the HU.

I will have to wait to see what is behind my HU, because I obviously don't remember. But my currently built harness has over a dozen loose wires that'll need splicing or modifying the metra harness. Attached is a photo of the work I did today.

IMG_20190813_180009.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
What I did was run power & steering wheel controls to the radio. everything else was just from the radio to the amp. For the best sound I used RCA line level outs. You are correct. With Soundstream amp using the high level speaker outs you do not need a remote turn on wire. I did chose not use high level inputs because I want the best sound quality. You might not be able to tell the difference with your system. I replaced everything when I did mine.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I did was run power & steering wheel controls to the radio. everything else was just from the radio to the amp. For the best sound I used RCA line level outs. You are correct. With Soundstream amp using the high level speaker outs you do not need a remote turn on wire. I did chose not use high level inputs because I want the best sound quality. You might not be able to tell the difference with your system. I replaced everything when I did mine.

I would prefer to run RCA, but I don't believe my HU has the connections. When I pull it tomorrow I'll know better, but all of the leftover cables that came with it do not have the outputs. Looking at the photo above it has RCA audio outputs, but they appear to be associated with video outputs.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
According to your photo it should be connector E pins 1,2,6,7 as your line level outs. I have a similar radio in my jeep.

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
I'm adding a 4ch amp to my '12 JKU Sport to power my front and rear speakers (already have a kicker hideaway sub installed). I have an aftermarket android headunit that was 100% plug and play and everything still works just like factory - so for all intents and purposes I have a "stock headunit". I bought two metra 70-6522 harnesses and one 71-6522 harness to integrate my amp. I plan on powering the amp direct to the battery. I have a few questions as I was unable to locate this information:

1) I know I need two metra 70-6522 harness to steal wires from one to install into the other. Which locations do I need to install the additional wires into? What are these wires for? (I think I read canbus somewhere - steering wheel controls, etc?)
The can bus wires are for a steering wheel adapter which you may or may not use depending on the adapter you use

2) Do I still connect the yellow and black wires on the harness even though I will be powering the amp from the battery and grounding to chassis?
Yes.
In addition to that you will need a red accessory/run wire which is not found on the jeep harness. That wire is supplied with your can bus adapter. If you choose not to use an adapter then you can take power from th 12 volt power outlet on the dash

3) My amp (ST4.1000D) has two separate plugs for the speaker inputs, each input has pos and neg for each speaker and one single ground wire. What do I do with the ground?
Connect to ground

4) I don't believe I need to connect "amp turn on wire" or whatever it's called when I'm installing the amp via speaker wire and not RCA connections. Correct?
It depends on the amp. Some amps have auto sensing turn on. If your does then it will not need a turn on wire (although the turn on wire is better... less delay)

That unit does have line level outs. Always better to use those if you can. They will present less distortion.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I should be able to skip any sort of harness all together now, right? Getting amp input from RCA, running separate power, and now that I'll be running 90w RMS to each speaker I should be running speaker wires direct from amp to speakers now right? So I shouldn't need to touch anything behind the stereo other than connect the remote-turn-on and RCA jacks. I don't really want to run all new speaker wires, but if that's whats required for an amp with this power then it is what it is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts