Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea what to do, I started driving my Jeep, my dashboard goes crazy and starts flashing everything. It's currently parked outside and it won't start now. Also my key doesn't lock or unlock my Jeep now.

Driving it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmG_gP_i6nU
Trying to turn it on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfkrS2GsY60

I already checked my battery to ensure it's still good, I cleaned the terminals, and I'm at a complete lost at this point. To make matters worse whenever I plug my battery back in, the alarm goes off and my key fob can't turn it off. I can't crank my Jeep.

:pullinghair::pullinghair:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2010 Jeep Wrangler
150k Miles

I did replace the battery key.

Update:
People were suggesting it was a voltage issue, and replacing the battery might be the cause. I replaced the battery, installed it, with new negative terminal, the previous owner screwed that side up, and I attempted to replace the positive terminal but the new one I bought wasn't going to fit. Jeep started up fine and I drove it around the block and back to and after a couple of miles it started acting up again. :pullinghair::pullinghair::pullinghair::pullinghair::pullinghair::pullinghair:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went through the grounds that I could find, they all looked in tact, cleaned them up anyways. Tried restarting the battery, even tried to jump start it to see if that was the issue. Jeep still won't crank, but the dashboard lights stay the same, bright when I try to crank it up. The headlights stay bright as well.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I thought I read on here somewhere about ground wires down where the dead pedal would mount. See if there is any loose wires on the inner body sheet metal down there inside of cab. It cant hurt to look.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Is the security light flashing? Have you tried a spare key?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The security light doesn't flash and it stays solid. I think my best bet at this point being that it's electrical is take it to a shop. I'm just not experienced with it and it seems out of my league at this point.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I had a car do this before, it was a bad battery harness. Since you said that it did better after replacing the battery for a short time, maybe you moved the harness just right when replacing it, and then it shifted after you drove a bit to the bad position. I didn't believe the dealer when he first told me it was the battery harness and it would be $75 for the part, I thought I would see more obvious things wrong as the harness looked ok. It was though, and it drove fine after I replaced it - the old one corroded on the inside. Might be worth a try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That actually makes a lot of sense. I remember even with the old battery when I was trying to get the Car Alarm to shut off, I had just placed the battery slightly on the terminal, and everything was fine, whereas once I started to tighten it down everything went to shit again. Definitely going to start moving the wires to see if I can diagnose it from there!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Solved

So I managed to find a solution and fixed the problem.

I can only say this for my Jeep which is a 2010 Jeep Rubicon, if you've experienced issues with your swaybar, i.e. the light flashing, and then something like this happens, make sure you check the connection between the electronic motor. Mine was submerged in water and the connections were getting corroded. Once I unplugged it, everything went back to normal. Jeep started up just like normal. Can't believe that thing was shorting my entire Jeep out.

:happyyes::happyyes::happyyes:

·
Registered
210 Posts
So I managed to find a solution and fixed the problem.

I can only say this for my Jeep which is a 2010 Jeep Rubicon, if you've experienced issues with your swaybar, i.e. the light flashing, and then something like this happens, make sure you check the connection between the electronic motor. Mine was submerged in water and the connections were getting corroded. Once I unplugged it, everything went back to normal. Jeep started up just like normal. Can't believe that thing was shorting my entire Jeep out.

:happyyes::happyyes::happyyes:
I am currently having this issue, I disconnected the plug to the sway bar and everything goes back to normal. Seems its a known defect in jeep ele. sway bar..

·
Registered
512 Posts
I am currently having this issue, I disconnected the plug to the sway bar and everything goes back to normal. Seems its a known defect in jeep ele. sway bar..
You should apply some dielectric grease to the terminals inside the connector; which should stop moisture from getting inside.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You should apply some dielectric grease to the terminals inside the connector; which should stop moisture from getting inside.
Well what happens is the sway bar has an electronic motherboard / chip in it if you will. When moisture gets into it , it will short out that board. And because the jeep has a safety feature to reconnect the sway bar at I think 18 mph if you forget to , it being connected to the whole electronic computer system causes all kinds of crazy shizzel going on with your jeep. Once it gets moisture inside the electronic sway bar motherboard the components corrode and malfunction . The only temp way to fix it is to unplug it. Then you can remove your entire electronic sway bar drill out the factory rivets remove the motherboard / chip and attempt to clean it with rubbing Alcohol and a tooth brush to recover it, as I do with water damaged macbooks with a high recovery rate. If that don't work you can just modify it to disconnect manually . Or just pay ``18 hundred bucks for a new sway bar . When in doubt goto the university of youtube!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well what happens is the sway bar has an electronic motherboard / chip in it if you will. When moisture gets into it , it will short out that board. And because the jeep has a safety feature to reconnect the sway bar at I think 18 mph if you forget to , it being connected to the whole electronic computer system causes all kinds of crazy shizzel going on with your jeep. Once it gets moisture inside the electronic sway bar motherboard the components corrode and malfunction . The only temp way to fix it is to unplug it. Then you can remove your entire electronic sway bar drill out the factory rivets remove the motherboard / chip and attempt to clean it with rubbing Alcohol and a tooth brush to recover it, as I do with water damaged macbooks with a high recovery rate. If that don't work you can just modify it to disconnect manually . Or just pay ``18 hundred bucks for a new sway bar . When in doubt goto the university of youtube!!
Hey is there a write up that goes through the entire removal/clean-up process?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts