Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone my name is Will and I will be buying a Jeep later on this year and I need some advice. I live in Nashville, TN and I want to know where is a good legit place to buy a used Jeep? I will be a first time Jeep buyer. I have come across two Jeep dealerships wihin the area and they are Jeepies of Nashville and the Pre Owned Jeep dealership in Cartersville, GA. Are these two places legit or shoud I look else where? Please be honest with me. I am trying to make an informed descison so I don't get screwed over and buy a piece of junk.

Thanks in advance,
Will

·
Administrator
2020 Jeep Gladiator
42,810 Posts
Well, I can't help but I moved your thread to our Georgia section. Hopefully you'll get come locals to help soon.

In the mean time, I just like to say . . .

Welcome to the forum! :wavey:

Click here for tips to help you use the forum

_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My jeep came from the the preowned jeep store. I didn't buy it from them though. My father bought it from them. I got the TJ from dad and he went back to them to get his jk. He said he had a good experience both times. Mine has 176,000 miles on it and doesn't leak or burn oil. It has a little frame rust that I'm going to have to fix but that is common. They put a tire cover advertising their business on the jeeps they sell. 3/4 of the jeeps I see in Northwest Georgia have that cover on them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My jeep came from the the preowned jeep store. I didn't buy it from them though. My father bought it from them. I got the TJ from dad and he went back to them to get his jk. He said he had a good experience both times. Mine has 176,000 miles on it and doesn't leak or burn oil. It has a little frame rust that I'm going to have to fix but that is common. They put a tire cover advertising their business on the jeeps they sell. 3/4 of the jeeps I see in Northwest Georgia have that cover on them.
Thanks for the reply! I really like their website and it seems legit but you never know until you ask somebody.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I bought mine from them. Sold me a YJ. That deal was shady.

Sold it back to them and got my TJ. I got a steal on it because they seem to be a little bit above market but I got mine a couple grand below.

They also extended their warranty to a 6k 6 month instead of the three.

I actually bought the Jeep less then 10 after the PO sold it. A couple weeks later, it blew all of its coolant. Had it towed back to them. Got a brand new radiator, thermostat, water pump, belts and hoses, all covered.

And they will haggle if you have cash.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought mine from them. Sold me a YJ. That deal was shady.

Sold it back to them and got my TJ. I got a steal on it because they seem to be a little bit above market but I got mine a couple grand below.

They also extended their warranty to a 6k 6 month instead of the three.

I actually bought the Jeep less then 10 after the PO sold it. A couple weeks later, it blew all of its coolant. Had it towed back to them. Got a brand new radiator, thermostat, water pump, belts and hoses, all covered.

And they will haggle if you have cash.
Ok, thanks for the reply. Would you recommend them to me? I have heard good and bad about them.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
There is another jeep dealership in Cartersville. I think the name is Elite. I've never dealt with them but I've never heard anything positive about them. Make sure you aren't getting the 2 confused.

As far as the preowned jeep store goes, they know their stuff. However they are basically a used car lot. Like any used car lot when they need cash they will be willing to deal and when they don't they will drive a hard bargain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is another jeep dealership in Cartersville. I think the name is Elite. I've never dealt with them but I've never heard anything positive about them. Make sure you aren't getting the 2 confused.

As far as the preowned jeep store goes, they know their stuff. However they are basically a used car lot. Like any used car lot when they need cash they will be willing to deal and when they don't they will drive a hard bargain.
I understand. Do they sell quality used Jeeps? The last thing I want to do is buy a good looking Jeep and then the engine, radiator, etc goes out.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I understand. Do they sell quality used Jeeps? The last thing I want to do is buy a good looking Jeep and then the engine, radiator, etc goes out.
Yes. They do sell good stuff and like Choke GT said I've heard several stories of them making good on things that were wrong with jeeps they sold. I think the majority of the guys working there are jeepers.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Yeah, they are, but you gotta get on their asses. The mechanic told me nothing was wrong with it after he let it idle with the AC for half an hour. The owner chewed his ass out and made him drive it until it started throwing coolant again.

And you get a warranty. I think their average is a 3 month, 3 thousand.

I'd suggest them, just be firm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, they are, but you gotta get on their asses. The mechanic told me nothing was wrong with it after he let it idle with the AC for half an hour. The owner chewed his ass out and made him drive it until it started throwing coolant again.

And you get a warranty. I think their average is a 3 month, 3 thousand.

I'd suggest them, just be firm.
Thank you all so much for the advice! As I stated earlier, I live in Nashville, TN and we have Jeepies up here that I have heard bad things from but so far the Cartersville Pre Owned seems like the place to go.

One more question, what should I expect with gas mileage with a lifted Jeep with 35's for example? The Jeep I buy will be a daily driver. I am looking for a used 2000-2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon lifted 4x4 with 35's, hard top, along with a wench and a bumper already installed. I also wanted the Jeep to be automatic and have the front and rear axle lockers. My daily commute is mostly highway and for five days of travel round trip I am looking at 150 miles for 5 days if that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have a 2002 4.0L with 33s, 3.73 gears and a five speed and I hover around 14 MPG. The automatic might get less than that. Especially if it has a higher gear ratio, which I'm fairly certain it'd have to in order to run 35s.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a 2002 4.0L with 33s, 3.73 gears and a five speed and I hover around 14 MPG. The automatic might get less than that. Especially if it has a higher gear ratio, which I'm fairly certain it'd have to in order to run 35s.
That is what I was expecting. What after market parts can I invest in to improve the gas mileage?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Don't know of any. But you want to stay away from cold air intakes if you plan on ever taking it off road.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You aren't going to like this but the best aftermarket product you can invest in for better gas mileage is smaller tires. 35's and gas mileage don't belong in the same sentence.

Mine is stock on 30's and I get around 17 mpg. Choke has 4.25" lift on 33's and gets around 14mpg. Are you noticing the pattern here?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You aren't going to like this but the best aftermarket product you can invest in for better gas mileage is smaller tires. 35's and gas mileage don't belong in the same sentence.

Mine is stock on 30's and I get around 17 mpg. Choke has 4.25" lift on 33's and gets around 14mpg. Are you noticing the pattern here?
Yeah I hear ya. That is what I was expecting any way I just wanted to confirm with people that know more about Jeeps than me. Having said said all that, I may need to give 33's a second thought.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
And, on a side note and in my own opinion, it'd be better if you find a stock Jeep (or one as close to stock as possible) and then build it up. That way you don't have to worry about if the PO half assed something along the way or really beat it up offroad.

If you want 35s, I'd suggest trying to find a JK over a TJ. It's a lot easier to get 35s on those. I want 35s, but it's going to be a lot of work and money to make it happen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And, on a side note and in my own opinion, it'd be better if you find a stock Jeep (or one as close to stock as possible) and then build it up. That way you don't have to worry about if the PO half assed something along the way or really beat it up offroad.

If you want 35s, I'd suggest trying to find a JK over a TJ. It's a lot easier to get 35s on those. I want 35s, but it's going to be a lot of work and money to make it happen.
I hear ya. I will take that into consideration. It is temping to go ahead and buy one that has everything on it though you have to admit.

·
Registered
424 Posts
<snip> ... I am looking for a used 2000-2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon lifted 4x4 with 35's, hard top, along with a wench and a bumper already installed ... </snip>
If you're married, your wife may have an issue with this ... ;)

In all seriousness ...

Preowned Jeep in Cartersville ... I looked at them for both of my Jeeps. If they had had what I was looking for, I'd have had no problem going there. The guys I talked to seemed decent - *NOT* your typical used car salesman type. Unfortunately they didn't have what I was looking for either time.

Gas mileage ... there's really nothing special you can do to a Jeep to improve it. Like CC and Choke showed you, the bigger you go, the worse your mileage will get. There aren't any chips, add ons, etc. that will help. My LJ has 33's, 3.73 and a 6 spd and I get ~15 mpg on my commute (from Canton to I-285 in the prime of both morning and evening rush hours ... ~1 hour each way on average). Pure highway driving with no congestion and running ~70mph and I generally can get closer to 18mpg. My stock TJ I had before my LJ ... I got 21+mpg bringing it home from Charlotte on the stock wheels and driving ~65mph.

Choke is right ... try for a stock, especially a stock Rubicon. You may *THINK* you're tempted to go for one already done but you really have no clue if it was done properly unless you take it to someone you trust to have them thoroughly go over it. Plus if you to it yourself, you know you'll get exactly what you want. The Rubicon came with lockers stock.

Note ... from 1997 to 2006 (TJ and LJ), 31's will fit on a non-lifted Wrangler. All newer ones (2007 to present - the JK class) will fit 33's non-lifted ... least that's what I recall reading.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts