Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If you're married, your wife may have an issue with this ... ;)

In all seriousness ...

Preowned Jeep in Cartersville ... I looked at them for both of my Jeeps. If they had had what I was looking for, I'd have had no problem going there. The guys I talked to seemed decent - *NOT* your typical used car salesman type. Unfortunately they didn't have what I was looking for either time.

Gas mileage ... there's really nothing special you can do to a Jeep to improve it. Like CC and Choke showed you, the bigger you go, the worse your mileage will get. There aren't any chips, add ons, etc. that will help. My LJ has 33's, 3.73 and a 6 spd and I get ~15 mpg on my commute (from Canton to I-285 in the prime of both morning and evening rush hours ... ~1 hour each way on average). Pure highway driving with no congestion and running ~70mph and I generally can get closer to 18mpg. My stock TJ I had before my LJ ... I got 21+mpg bringing it home from Charlotte on the stock wheels and driving ~65mph.

Choke is right ... try for a stock, especially a stock Rubicon. You may *THINK* you're tempted to go for one already done but you really have no clue if it was done properly unless you take it to someone you trust to have them thoroughly go over it. Plus if you to it yourself, you know you'll get exactly what you want. The Rubicon came with lockers stock.

Note ... from 1997 to 2006 (TJ and LJ), 31's will fit on a non-lifted Wrangler. All newer ones (2007 to present - the JK class) will fit 33's non-lifted ... least that's what I recall reading.
Thanks for the advice! So would you say the guys at the Cartersville Jeep are a good/ok group to do business with if find the right deal? I see what you are saying about buying the stock Jeep which I will consider after hearing what you all have said.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Like I said, I've not done any actual business with them but have stopped by looking several times. The guys were nice and seemed knowledgeable, bearing in mind that this is from someone who knows relatively little.

Stock was the advice I got across the board when I bought my TJ in '13 and it paid off in spades later when I sold it stock (with 31's) a year ago. The LJ I bought last year does have a 2" lift on it to fit the 33's but I had it checked out before buying it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Like I said, I've not done any actual business with them but have stopped by looking several times. The guys were nice and seemed knowledgeable, bearing in mind that this is from someone who knows relatively little.

Stock was the advice I got across the board when I bought my TJ in '13 and it paid off in spades later when I sold it stock (with 31's) a year ago. The LJ I bought last year does have a 2" lift on it to fit the 33's but I had it checked out before buying it.
I understand.

·
Registered
339 Posts
May be late to the party but I would stay away from the Pre Owned Store.
Too many horror stories coming from that place and not all urban legend
stuff. People from my 4x4 club have had problems which I know to be true.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I purchased a 2007 Jeep Rubricon from the Preowned Jeep Store (Cartersville, GA) . . Looked great on the outside. However, the brakes were trash not to mention the "Undercoating Spray". The Brakes were rusted pretty badly and I have to do a full replacement on the Brakes Pads, Rotors, and Emergency Shoes. The water pump was also bad and needed to be replaced. Fortunately, I have a friend who could help me out. My purchase included the warranty . . I hope I do not have to use it. #IHateRust! Stay tuned.

SN: They were really nice and gave me a check for $150 for the brakes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have always bought used. I look for dealerships that carry older models for example, I just bought a 2008 jk unlimited x 4 door hard top from troncoli in cumming note: most dealers wholesale out older models and are very particular what they leave on the lot to sell meaning it has to be of good quality (not abused) mine had 133k at time of purchase with 3;73 ratio they provided me with all car fax and auto check service records
Plus I kept it for 5 hours before purchase to take to my shop, my mechanic for his assessment high volume dealerships do not want any negative reviews or feedback they don’t keep them that old unless they are in good condition anyway got a great deal 14k could sell it tomorrow for 17k will keep it about year and trade again maybe a RUBY or wait for the infamous truck that supposed to come out.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts