Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I am new to the jeep world and am in need of advice. I just bought a used yj w 125 k and everything is wrong. Despite that I have decided to fix the problems. I don't have any mechanical exp except oil changes and minor repairs. The radiator was rusted out completely so I changed it myself. Also replaced the starter. I know these are all easy but I enjoyed it a lot and was extremely gratifying. I didn't have much power and took it to my friend's dad who is a mechanic and he diagnosed a blown head gasket. It wasn't running on all cylinders and the top of the oil fill cap was slightly milky. There was also steam coming out of the exhaust. I'm not driving the jeep to prevent further damage and want to know if changing the head gasket is feasible being a newbie. I would even consider replacing the whole head if around 400. I understand that conventionally I would take the head to a machine shop. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Yes you can. Star by ggetting a Haynes or Chiltons manuaal and read it through. Take the head to a machine shop and have it gone through. Hours of parts cleaning but if you take your time you can handle it and you can always post up here foor directions. You will need basic handtools, sockets and wrenches. The one special too you will need is a torque wrench. Maybe find a buddy who is handy to come by. I can get a crowd everynight if have beer handy. Go for it learn more about your Jeep.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
You'll at least want a top end gasket kit (which includes the head gasket) and new head bolts, plus like was said, have the head gone though.. Take a look at the cylinder walls when the head is off, and it'd be worth dropping the oil pan and checking the bottom end for any play in the rod bearings, having coolant in the oil for an extended amount of time can lead to premature bearing failure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks darkprox and joker. Appreciate the help going to start today before work. Do I need to take the engine to tdc to do this?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Jokerchief462, any chance you could post a larger photo of your Jeep? I kinda' like the color and wanted to see it in a larger scale.

If you can, thanks much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts