Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

My ‘95 YJ suddenly started having a constant beep from the time I turn the ignition on. The engine starts with no problems and the battery gauge shows 14+ volts. Beep is continuous throughout and just keeps on going with the engine running. All lights checked and working. I can’t seem to find any errors on the car and the only message I get through OBD is that the battery has been disconnected recently - which is correct.
The only thing I’ve done to the car before it started beeping, is to change the wheels - on the right side only - 33” instead of 31”, but I can’t see how this would trigger an alarm. (If you’re wondering - just to check if tires go outside the fenders which is an no go in my country).
I’ve searched various forums but can’t seem to find a match to a beeping sound on a YJ - so please let me hear from you YJ’ers if you know what’s going on.
Thanks, Jacob.

·
Super Moderator
10,268 Posts
Welcome to the Forum JacobFM,

Have you searched to find out exactly where the beeping is coming from?
Let us know where the beeping is coming from (engine compartment or under the dash) and hopefully someone here can help you.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Glad to finally be a member!

The beeping comes from under the dash.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Try pulling the wire off one of the spades as you see depicted in the photo, I can’t remember which one is for the buzzer and which one is for the courtesy lights, so pull the other one if it doesn’t stop.

Apart from that I’m not aware of any beeping/buzzing that our YJ’s make.

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
I don't know about the 95's. but my 88 still has the "key in the ignition beep" ( more like a bell) that comes on with the courtesy light switch when the door is open, if what IRQ suggests cuts the beep off you can pull the door chime module from the bottom of the fuse block. But a new door switch, as in his pic, would probably remedy the situation. It may be that either the ignition switch or door switch has a short in them causing the beep.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yeah I imagine either method will work, mine may possibly beep as well but it’s been so long since I pulled that wire I have forgotten ;)

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Yeah I imagine either method will work, mine may possibly beep as well but it’s been so long since I pulled that wire I have forgotten ;)
Yeah, mine were disconnected when I got it so no interior lights, ignition/headlights buzzer.
Plugged back in and that lasted all of three seconds and I unplugged. I prefer stealth mode -- just gotta remember to turn and check headlights are off.

John D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.

Tried the connections for the door switch, but with no luck. I did some further investigation and located the tiny speaker causing the buzzing. It’s connected to what looks like a relay and disconnecting it stops the buzzing. But what is it for? I’ve posted some photos.
1. the “relay”
2. the speaker
3. where the “relay” plugs into the fuse box

My YJ is Japanese spec and has been modified a bit in the UAE, so no doubt there are a couple of less than perfect workarounds here and there in the wiring.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yeah.
Also found out that the horn only works intermittently. So there’s likely a connection there.

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
Not anything I've ever seen before, but given that it plugs into the fuse box next to the ignition terminal at the fuse box, I can only assume that it is another useless buzzer to alert you to something having to do with the key in the ignition...

Anybody else ever seen this?

·
Super Moderator
10,268 Posts
Whenever I see taped wires, my hacker alarm goes off. At minimum all splices should be done with butt connectors (not the best way). The best way is solder and shrink tubing. There are new butt connectors that you heat and they solder and shrink as heated, but I've never used them so I can't recommend them.

I don't recognize the device that appears to be a speaker as a stock Jeep item but since the vehicle is Japanese spec, I guess it's possible. If it just started beeping, I suspect some sort of short. Can you follow the wires back to it's source? You can simply disconnect it, but I think it's better to cure the cause rather than the symptom.

For the horn, what usually causes intermittent failure is dirty contacts on a brass disc underneath the steering wheel called a "spring". The reason it's called a spring is that it's like the top of a food jar that pops up when the jar is opened. It needs to be installed in a way that when you press on the horn button it makes contact with the steering wheel and closes (grounds) the circuit to the horn relay. It's fairly simple to remove the steering wheel, remove a few screws and clean the brass disc. Just be certain to note the way it's originally installed and put it back right side up. Any parts that you find that are suspect within the upper end of the steering column are usually easily available aftermarket, at a Jeep dealer or, since our steering columns are GM products (Saginaw) they are probably even easier to find at a Chevrolet or any GM dealer.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
STANLEY DV075-41070A appears to be a Jeep part, though if it came stock on your export YJ is uncertain, below is an image from Yahoo Japan translated and the fuse block diagram next to the my fuse block, you can see where the buzzer is located below the block.

03728339-04F2-4BFB-A5E6-1E4EB57CBDD9.jpeg 681B241B-0B3B-4B0C-B703-F45695AB4652.png C9844162-62E2-4648-A553-3237EB41AFA8.jpeg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts