Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody please take me through a play by play of how to remove them from my 4dr JK? Ive tried a search but cant find any from step one. Much appreciated! :redface:

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
1.) using a 50 (I think) torx bit, remove each nut under every hinge. 2 per door, and throw them away.

2.) follow the wire inside the door. it connects under the dash. push the red clip, then squeeze the main harness while pulling down. it'll pop out.

3.) disconnect the strap from the hook in the tub.

4.) roll down the window. if you doors are virgins, this will take muscle. from the outside of the door, reach in and grab the handle. take your other hand and put it on the bottom (for stability) or up top (where you ash smokes :rofl: for extra strength) and start tugging. if you can't get it, open the door more and try again. you'll get it eventually, and be CAREFUL. the door has more weight than you think. I'm guessing 50 pounds or so.

once it's off, chassis grease the hinge and pin so it's not a nightmare to get off again.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
The best advice I've seen about removing doors is...Go outside and pick up your Jeep and flip it over. The doors should slide off easier due to gravity and the weight of the doors.

·
Registered
129 Posts
1.) using a 50 (I think) torx bit, remove each nut under every hinge. 2 per door, and throw them away.

2.) follow the wire inside the door. it connects under the dash. push the red clip, then squeeze the main harness while pulling down. it'll pop out.

3.) disconnect the strap from the hook in the tub.

4.) roll down the window. if you doors are virgins, this will take muscle. from the outside of the door, reach in and grab the handle. take your other hand and put it on the bottom (for stability) or up top (where you ash smokes :rofl: for extra strength) and start tugging. if you can't get it, open the door more and try again. you'll get it eventually, and be CAREFUL. the door has more weight than you think. I'm guessing 50 pounds or so.

once it's off, chassis grease the hinge and pin so it's not a nightmare to get off again.
Thanks for the great detailed explanation GroundHawg!

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Be careful after removing the limiting strap to not let the doors fly open. Unless you want the cowl dimple mod. :D On the rear doors there is a panel that needs to be removed to allow access to the wire connection. Put a dab of white lithium grease on the hinge pins prior to reinstalling them to ensure easy removal next time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
it is a 50 on the torx head!! If you have any problems getting some of the off spray some grease up there and sit on you door sill and push your knees up on the bottom of the door to try to loosen it--I had to spray 2 times, but this ended up how I got the passenger side off mine just last week.:cool:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You dont have the manual? the DVD that came with your Jeep?

It's pretty detailed in there....
Oops... I should start taking my time and looking instead of skimming thru! Didnt see it in the manual the first time. :banghead:

Thanks for the info anyway GroundHawg! You really are a wealth of info, my man!

daggo- good thinkin'

KBR97- You first, then let us know how it works out for ya!:D

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
You guys are all welcome.

yeah as someone above mentioned, roll the power windows down before disconnecting the harness :rofl:

I threw those nuts away. with the door closed it won't fly off. you can keep them if you wish, I just ditched mine to eliminate a step and save time. I don't even bother hooking the harness back up either.

just don't drive around with the door open and no nut screwed on. I don't know how, but I'd imagine it's possible to bounce it out of the hinge with the door open and driving.

my doors have been neutered for months now and I've had no issues where the door even came remotely close to disconnecting at an unwanted time, even heavily greased.

EDIT: the manual sucks at explaining how to remove the doors. same with the top. it all read like Chinese to me, so don't feel retarded. I didn't get it either. I just screwed around with stuff till I got it to work.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Oh, GroundHawg, and throw them away? Really??
They aren't a necessity. I kept mine and will put them back in when I put the doors back on for the winter. When I have to put the doors back on because of storms, I do not replace the torx heads.

My CJ7 had hard doors without those bolt heads and it could have used them. Those doors were noisy. The JK doors are silent without the heads. I'm sure it's just a security feature (you can get locking ones) or to keep the doors from falling off if you want to turn your Jeep over and shake out the dirt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have a real Joker in the house

The best advice I've seen about removing doors is...Go outside and pick up your Jeep and flip it over. The doors should slide off easier due to gravity and the weight of the doors.
Turn the Jeep over......... funny Jamoke.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts