Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I’m new to jeeps and I’m doing a 5.3/ 4L60 swap into a ‘92. I know everyone loves Jeep transfer cases but I don’t have one. I have a NP246 that came with ten driveline (all original from 2000 Silverado), and I have an older np241 that is basically the same dimensions but the rear output housing (9”) comes off. Has anyone used either of these. I would really like to avoid buying a new t case and adapter. I can make the speedo work, Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Is there a question here other than "has anybody used one"?

The reason folks use the stock Jeep transfer case has nothing to do with loving them and everything to do with their size.

You might try taking a tape measure to your planned complete powertrain and see if you can get a reasonable rear drive shaft length. My bet is that you can't...

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
NP241's are commonly used in these swaps, whether the powertrain forward of the TC is GM or not. Daddyjeep used one on his mopar swap. Also a NP231C-HD from a late 80's Chevy S10 will bolt up cheaply using the right GM adapter. The adapters can be found on Ebay any day for around $30, and the spline count and input shaft match up. The S10 TC's are a dime a dozen too.
Lots of ways to get it done.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I used a 231c from a '94 s-10 Blazer and a t-case adapter from a similar vehicle. I used the rear half of the Jeep transfer case to retain factory vacuum switch and speedometer output. I mounted the LS vss in the transfer case adapter (with a 40tooth tone ring) also running a sye kit and a standard spline and slip rear driveshaft. Novak makes a nice transfer case shifter setup, I also used the lokar floor shifter.

To the best of my knowledge gm made 3 adapters for a 4l60e/231c combination.

zr2 is the lowest clocking (I mistakenly use that originally) front output is really low and it wouldn't clear the belly

standard s-10 adapter is what I'm currently using and is working very well

All wheel drive Astro van is the flattest factory adapter, also the lest common

1 - 4 of 4 Posts