Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 16. I just bought my first car. What do you know its a Jeep. (YJ). It's an 1992. I not to mechanical inclined. She has 116,000 on her. The old owner said its going to need the oil changed. Besides that what else should I do to get? I was thinking to check the fluids, spark plugs, and wash it. What else should I do? btw it lived at the beach so she has a little bit of rust.
Thanks all

·
Registered
787 Posts
change all the fluids and give it a complete tune up...that way you know what you've got going on.....after that it's "fix as you find".....welcome to the Jeep world and the Forum....:wavey:

·
Registered
37 Posts
You definitely want to test drive it and have your mechanic look at it before you buy. Some problems can remain hidden on a casual inspection. Check the undercarriage for rust especially. If there is a lot of rust you could have trouble. Make sure it shifts smooth you don't want to have transmission or clutch work right out of the gate. Other than that buy it enjoy it. Understand it is 20 years old, it will need some work. Enjoy, and welcome to the club. :)

·
Registered
879 Posts
-grease all the fittings
-get a service manual
-post some pics

·
Registered
89 Posts
I say prep prime and paint the rust, especially on the frame. You can keep these jeeps running for a very long time as long as your frame stays solid.

Change your fluids and filters so you KNOW when they were done last and then enjoy it till something breaks. Fix that, rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Check the brake fluid. Low fluid will make it come on. If the fluid is low it may be time for new brake pads/shoes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow thanks a lot I real appreciated it. Now I don't have to bring it to the shop.
there is also 2 other things wrong I found out;
Sometimes the fuel gauge does not work (which we found out the hard way driving it home)
and sometimes the left turn signal wouldn't work or brake light.
any thoughts?

·
Registered
89 Posts
when the turn signal doesn't work, does the indicator light on the dash stay on solid? If so, you could have a burnt out bulb or one of the bulb sockets could be making intermittent contact with the body causing a random ground.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
fuel gauge not working right is for the most part standard on all YJ's..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts