Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm new here and I lost my dad and inherited his 2010 jeep wrangler.. I let firestone do an oil change and they didnt put the oil filter on tight enough.. with that being said I have been dealing with a domino affect of problems.. I have recently taken apart the whole engine myself.. my question is.. I took out the lifters and discovered scuff marks on several of them.. what causes scuff marks? And what else should I replace to make sure after I put the engine back together it's going to run again? Thank you everyone in advance! Any advice is much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. Sorry for your loss.

First question is this. Did you bring the vehicle back to Firestone and inform them of their screw up? Pictures and documentation of the oil leaking out, etc. They should be paying for the rebuild, not you.

Pictures of the cam and lifters would be helpful, along with a description of the symptoms after the event. Odds are the scuffing you're seeing is from the lack of oil. If that's the case, most likely the cam and lifters are bad, the bearings are shot, rings are bad, etc. It all depends on how long the engine ran, how much oil was in the sump, if any. You would have gotten an oil light if the level was dangerously low.

I would have done a compression test, and leak down test before tearing the engine apart. It may not be that bad, many an engine survived with little to no damage from a dynamic oil leak. That's if it was caught in time. A lot more info is needed. Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Since you didn't go back to Firestone, I assume, prior to working on the Jeep yourself it would be hard to make a claim against them now.
All Firestone shops should have garage liability with at least the standard ISO (Insurance Service Office) form which would not pay for the filter but would cover any and all of the resulting damage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok sorry it was early in the morning when I started this post.. basically yes I did take it to Firestone. They had my car from December 2018 until april 2019.. I had a rental car that time which was 238.00 a week.. needless to say it's been a very long road.. they said after having it inspected 2 times after i started my claim that it was inclusive as to if the damage done was from the oil filter or not.. so they denied both claims.. I have sought advice from an attorney but we all know that could take over a year to settle.. mean while I'm a single mom of 2 kids and this is my only transportation.. I did the oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, transmission cooling lines, radiator hose, and than finally i did the timing chain about 4 weeks ago.. I found out after I should have started with the timing chain.. with that being said.. I had some idiot that wouldnt listen to me who thought he knew more than me when it came time to reinstall the cover and he thought he was "helping" me stop by.. he went to put the cover on and I said no take it off it's not aligned right it was about an inch away from the front of the engine.. than he goes no itll be fine just have to put the bolts on.. I told him to take it off.. he wouldnt listen.. one thing lead to another and my oil pump blew to pieces!! Since that happened I rebuilt the oil pump.. replace oil pressure switch, knock sensor, cam sensor, crank sensor, all spark plugs, wires, and ignition coil.. after I did the spark plugs and stuff than my car wouldnt even turn on.. so I decided to take apart the engine..

·
Registered
45 Posts
You have opened a big can of worms here. I'm assuming that if the oil filter wasn't on right you pumped most the oil out of the engine. If so and there is scuffing on the lifters you probably lost oil pressure and lifters could be just the tip of the iceberg. What state is the motor in now?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As of right now the engine heads are off, the valve assembly is taken apart, now all I have showing in my engine is the pistons.. i DO NOT want to have to drop the oil pan for the 6th TIME!!! lol I have taken the heads to a shop to be cleaned.. from the guys first look he said the heads looks great! He also told me he has had many jeeps come in with damn near the same problem.. the thing I told him it was doing was ticking.. but that is only one of many problems I'm currently faced with.. I have the ticking, crank no start, and misfire cylinder 2.. as of now it's so weird because I was getting the misfire in cylinder 2 yet, the lifters are perfect in that cylinder as well as the valves.. I'm so lost!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
When you rotate the engine do you see any scaring or marks in the cylinder walls? Also did you say there is a ticking from the crank when it was running?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so as of now.. I had to drop the oil pan for the 6th time.. I got all 6 pistons out.. and 3 of 6 are completely a mess.. I know someone that can reboar the walls.. that's not a problem.. but my concern now is once the engine is put back together.. is this going to fix my crank no start?!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions!! The engine is back together yahoo!! I'm not going to explain what I did because it's so embarrassing but I ended up needing a new pcm and now my check engine light is on and when the jeep idles at a stop light the electronic throttle control flashes, traction light comes on, and than the car dies.. now my check engine light is on.. please help!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts