Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago, my jeep was caught topless in a thunderstorm and ever since then, my horn hasn't worked. The chirp when locking it works and so does the alarm. It also sounds the horn when the battery is reconnected after being disconnected for any amount of time. I assumed the issue was just the switch in the steering wheel (denying the fact that it could be the clock spring).

As of yesterday, my airbag light has been appearing, disappearing, and reappearing periodically with out any pattern. I decided to have one of the service writers check it out at the dealership where I work at to see if I could get a code and got these two: (1) B1B06 Driver Airbag Squib 2 Circuit Open (2) B2339 Horn Switch Stuck.

Since I work in the service department of a Chrysler dealership, I can get the part for about 190 bucks with my discount. The original price is about 380 almost 400. I guess my question is: does anyone have any experience with this issue/replacing a clock spring? I am pretty good with cars (I am building my jeep myself), but being 18, I don't have all of the experience in the world.... I can manage to learn as I go with just about anything mechanical, but I am not too great at electrical stuff... Any advice, words of wisdom, or even instructions would be greatly appreciated!

SORRY ABOUT MAKING THIS SO LONG.. I JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE I GAVE AS MANY DETAILS AS POSSIBLE.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Look on YouTube. Extremely easy to replace. 20-30 min max. Be sure to disconnect battery for 10-15 minutes to discharge the Airbag capacitor. My son and I did it in out driveway in no time at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Go have fun is correct even though Chrysler knows its the same part in my 2008 LH drive. I had to change mine out last year. I know one guy that just disabled this on a TJ. Not sure if you can on a JK.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wait, so what if I didn't purchase a third party extended warranty? Is the clock spring under a factory established warranty?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you try asking anyone in your department? I would think one of them might be able to answer your questions.
I did. That's how I found out that I needed the clock spring.. But just like any other business, they wouldn't tell me how to do it myself because they want to make money off of it... Also I had never heard of the warranty thing everyone else is talking about, so I'm going to ask about that for sure..

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Probably a stupid question. What's a clockspring?

Wikipedia explains it better than I could.

In vehicle steering systems a clockspring is a special rotary electrical connector which allows a vehicle's steering wheel to turn while still making an electrical connection between the steering wheel airbag and/or the vehicle's horn and other devices and the vehicle's electrical systems. The clockspring is located between the steering wheel and the steering column.
Clocksprings generally consist of a flat multicore cable wound in a spiral shape similar to a clock spring, hence the name,[1] but the name is also given to devices fulfilling the same purpose but which use spring-loaded brushes contacting concentric slip rings.[2]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Theres a write up on how to change it out on another Jeep forum if you don't find it here. It was a PITA and expensive part, but I refused to let Chrysler do it and charge me the labor. Especially since it should have been a recall!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Theres a write up on how to change it out on another Jeep forum if you don't find it here. It was a PITA and expensive part, but I refused to let Chrysler do it and charge me the labor. Especially since it should have been a recall!
perfect! Thanks! I'll see if I can find it by googling for it!

·
Registered
182 Posts
About a year ago, my jeep was caught topless in a thunderstorm and ever since then, my horn hasn't worked. The chirp when locking it works and so does the alarm. It also sounds the horn when the battery is reconnected after being disconnected for any amount of time. I assumed the issue was just the switch in the steering wheel (denying the fact that it could be the clock spring). As of yesterday, my airbag light has been appearing, disappearing, and reappearing periodically with out any pattern. I decided to have one of the service writers check it out at the dealership where I work at to see if I could get a code and got these two: (1) B1B06 Driver Airbag Squib 2 Circuit Open (2) B2339 Horn Switch Stuck. Since I work in the service department of a Chrysler dealership, I can get the part for about 190 bucks with my discount. The original price is about 380 almost 400. I guess my question is: does anyone have any experience with this issue/replacing a clock spring? I am pretty good with cars (I am building my jeep myself), but being 18, I don't have all of the experience in the world.... I can manage to learn as I go with just about anything mechanical, but I am not too great at electrical stuff... Any advice, words of wisdom, or even instructions would be greatly appreciated! SORRY ABOUT MAKING THIS SO LONG.. I JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE I GAVE AS MANY DETAILS AS POSSIBLE.
Have you tried disconnecting the battery then reconnecting to fix? Same thing happened to me and this fixed the issue. Did not need to replace clock spring. I have not had an issue since.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you tried disconnecting the battery then reconnecting to fix? Same thing happened to me and this fixed the issue. Did not need to replace clock spring. I have not had an issue since.
I have... Not specifically for that reason. I've disconnected the battery several times since it happened though. The only thing that happens after reconnecting is my horn goes off for about 30 seconds

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was able to find a new clockspring from a dealership in NC selling it online for $161. I found how to install it myself and it took less than a hour.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Hi guys,
Looks like this is a 3.5 yr old post. My apologies for trying to revive it. I've run in to same issue with my '13 JKUR today. Jeep's throwing "B1B06 - Driver Airbag Squib 2 Circuit Open". Jeep's had 64K miles when I bought it two months ago.

I haven't tried disconnecting the battery to see if it helps. But can you share your install know-how please? I'd greatly appreciate it. Don't want to take it back to dealership again and pay through the nose to fix this (took it in a month ago to fix passenger airbag recall that this Jeep was affected by).

Any other thoughts or advice greatly appreciated as well! Thank you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts