Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi gang, newbie here. i may be trading for a 02 wrangler sport. 6cyl 5 speed.
85,00 miles i was told its stock and never been off road:hide:.
i have never owned a jeep. and it would be my D/D
just how reliable are they. from what i have read they are .
but my uncle acts like they are plaged with problems.
it does have a soft top and half doors.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
The only problem they are plagued with is poor gas mileage. All the stuff I've broken on my Jeep was done by me except for the radiator and water pump that I replaced. I have over 185k on mine and still runs as strong as the day I drove it away from the dealership. It was my daily driver up until last spring when I figured out a new gas sipper would pay for itself with my 90 mile commute to and from work.

·
Registered
184 Posts
There insanely reliable! I've flipped mine and is 100% fine. My friend used his YJ to flip it over and it whipped right out. No damage whatsoever other than a small ding in my bumper and I was going over 35+ miles. There great. But by asking a forum full of jeep lovers your always gonna get a bias.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ,
i would have thought as much... LOL
what would be some of the things to look for when i check it out?
that may be problem areas. any commen wear items or nosies.
i was thinking with the mileage it has, it should still be in pretty good shape.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree with BLK00TJ. I've got an '01 6cly auto and love it. Repairs are easy, and though I haven't needed a radiator yet, replacing the water pump was a breeze. Recently bought an '01 auto with overdrive from a Cherokee of the same year to address the mileage. Mine is a daily driver too.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Thanks ,
i would have thought as much... LOL
what would be some of the things to look for when i check it out?
that may be problem areas. any commen wear items or nosies.
i was thinking with the mileage it has, it should still be in pretty good shape.
Depending on where you live, check over the frame for rust. Surface rust is okay and to be expected, but when chunks of rust are coming off, walk away. I'm jealous of the TJ owners in the Southwest. Us folks up here in the Northeast are in a constant battle with rust. Other than that, it is the same as any other car. Put it up on a lift and wiggle stuff looking for worn/loose bushings and leaks. Dampness around the rear main seal is pretty normal. As long as it isn't dripping.

Are you looking to offroad with it? If so, it may be worth looking at what rear diff is on the Jeep. You'll want a D44 if you want to do anything more than mild trails. The D35 is prone for failure without upgrades.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i live in Missouri. he said it had the D44 , and i just seen on here the 35 has a rubber plug and the 44 has a steel one in the diff , correct?
i dont plan on any major off roading. i am a hunter ,deer and rabbit. so i could end up in a muddy field or trail or a little snow. i have a 5x10 trailer i will need to pull. not much weight on it maybe 300lbs max. i would like to put some wider tires on it for a wider foot print. but i want good road manners. not sure if i will lift it , if i did it would be minimum . i think some wide 31's would be ok not a street radial something that looks like it will do good in mud . but not drive you crazy with road noise. i will have to look around for one i like and see what they did. i dont know what works best with what. thats why i am here. i just need it to be dependable.

PS..OK after looking at jeeps on cregslist i may like a 2" lift i dont want to have to change gears an all that stuff due to bigger tires tho ...LOL .
i like the first and last jeeps on the banner of this site. i like the wide fender flares.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
i may be trading for a 02 wrangler sport. 6cyl 5 speed.
85,000 miles

just how reliable are they.
To quote Jp magazine, the exact Wrangler you are considering is "... easily a 250,000 mile powertrain combination if maintained properly." The 4.0L straight six is extremely durable, and that NV3550 5-speed is a half-ton V8 pickup truck transmission which, while a bit noisy, is overkill when installed in a Wrangler. Assuming the Jeep is currently in good condition, there is no reason you can't expect to put 200,000 more miles on it yourself.

i have a 5x10 trailer i will need to pull. not much weight on it maybe 300lbs max. i would like to put some wider tires on it for a wider foot print. but i want good road manners. not sure if i will lift it , if i did it would be minimum .
Towing: that Wrangler is rated for up to 2000 pounds maximum capacity, though this is with only a driver in the Jeep (and no cargo in it, either). It sounds like you'll be fine there.

Road manners: stay with the stock suspension. If you do want a small lift to clear larger tires, either go with a spring spacer lift (commonly called a budget boost) or a small (~1") body lift. Either way, you'll retain the stock springs and will thus keep a nice ride. In my opinion, 31" tires look mighty fine on a budget boosted Wrangler:

Choose your tires carefully. Nothing does as well in the mud as a mud tire, but nothing is as noisy on the street as a mud tire. Thankfully, the 31" size is extremely common; you'll have many many choices in that size.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I used to think the tell-tale sign of a D35 was the rubber plug, but we had a member on here have a metal plug on his that we found last week. The easiest way to tell for me is the shape. Oval = D35 and Hexagon = D44.

Well, you won't find a more offroad capable vehicle than the Jeep Wrangler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
they are suprisingly reliable. they dont sound like it when you are driving down the road and hit a b ump at 50 mph cuz it sounds like the thing is gonna fall apart but its only because there is only as piece of carpet ans sheet metal separating you from the raw amazingness of these vehicles. "theyre loud, rough, hard to handle, and not practical but damn theyre fun!..its a jeep thing":punk:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts