Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought 92 yj 2.5 5 speed. Want to do a v8 but not sure what i need. current motor has 191k and knocks hard. ax5 tranny stuck in 2nd gear. need to know what axels to buy? tranny? want to keep it 5 speed.. im sure its been talked about a million times on here. its going to be a daily driver with some off road. any imput would be greatly app. All ready has 4 inch lift. 2 shackle and 2 leaf. im thinking of doing a axel flip. Want to be on 37 inch tires. thanks in advance

·
Registered
26 Posts
All I know you will need is quite a bit of $$$. I lack the intelligence to know what parts exactly, but what type of v8? 350/305/302?

·
Registered
89 Posts
flubber, there is quite a bit of information about the swaps everywhere so do a little bit of a search for the goodies. The basics of what you need include the engine, transmission, new engine mounts welded in, wiring harness, computer, drive shafts, ect...

Novack conversions is a good site to check for what engine and transmissions will work for you.

I am not sure if 37" tires and daily driver really go together well. Might want to evaluate how high you want to go. Your rig but I'm just sayin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am thinking a 350 chevy. they are a dime a dozen. i work at a place to get cheap parts so i can get what i need. just not sure. i see people are prone to the 8.8 but i can get my hands on a cheap d44. do i need to do just the rear or front too for a v8.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure of exactly what is needed but I think certain small block chevy's like the 327 of years is something to look at. It will cost you.....but this is something I would be interested in doing, IF and when I get some spare change! You'll most likely need a stronger tranny and all those parts. It will get costly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guardian. going with a carb to make it easier. i guess let me define daily driver. i live six min from work so it will be around town. go to shows and off road some

1 - 7 of 7 Posts