Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 20+ years my family & I have used a wrangler to plow our steep/very long/curvy driveway... it is too narrow for a truck with a plow & too tight at the top to turn around with a longer vehicle set up with a plow.

To make a long story short, my dad totaled his 2013 rubicon that had a winch, custom HIDs, lift kit, custom mopar exhaust, several light bars, etc.

ISO of a new wrangler. We are looking for one that our current Western HTS snowplow can fit on. He is insisting he needs a "rubicon" to plow...

Who has a wrangler they plow with? What are the mods you have done to it? What kind of plow do you use?

Looking at a 2015 or newer wrangler. We know we are going to have to beef up the front end to be able to withstand the impacts of plowing... would the sahara do well?

Could just install auto locking differentials in a sahara?

IMO, it is better to get a Sahara & install the mods we are looking for...

Thanks

·
Registered
622 Posts
Curtis poly plow. Used it on a 90 YJ auto 6 with no mods, an 02 TJ auto with air lift bags in the front springs, in a 13 Wrangler unlimited sport with zero mods and now on my 14 JKU sport with an OEM rear limited slip. Plowed for 4 years with no mods, this past winter with about 1" lift spacer in the front (shown) with 235-80-16 General Arctic Altimax snow tires. If you don't know how to plow and get yourself stuck all the time, then sure, a Rubicon can help get you unstuck. I have never been stuck with this setup. I should put weight in the back to balance the plow, but I don't. My driveway is about 800 feet with a 200 foot circle at the top and a turn around.

If you still have the plow adapter that bolts to the frame, you can install it on any JK and I would bet any JL. I've modified adapters from my Jeeps to fit on a Suburban. They're not rocket science. Also, I see nowhere where the Rubicon was modified in any way for plowing. There's no need to. You keep a good eye out for any wear or things needing replacement.

(in the picture, I have 295-70-17 Dick Cepek Extreme Countrys on OEM 17" alloys and no spacers)

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
I plow with a Snowex 7200LT with down pressure. It weighs 310 lbs. I sleeved the Dana 30 and added gussets to strengthen the front axle. Next weakest point is probably the ring and pinion but I'm cautious with it. And for sure, keep an eye out on ball joints and unit bearings. From what I gather, the Dana 44 axle tubes and knuckles are the same on a Dana 30 but I would be cautious about a locker on the front axle with a plow.

I installed TrueTrac's front and rear just recently so this should benefit during snowfall. Consider snow tires for additional traction.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts