Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all sorry this is my first post but everything else I had problems with i was able to search and find the answer. I have a plug which looks like a computer plug under my dash by the driver door. Also I have a red wire that was electrical taped to the wiring harness by the previous owner spliced into. I unhooked the wire and everything is still working fine any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Obd ?

·
Registered
348 Posts
My opinion is that red wire is a Hot lead either off the battery or the fuse box. A few tj models, including mine, a 2000, have 2 hot leads off of the fuse box behind the glove for accessories. There is a red, which is always on, and a blue, which works off key in pos 2. Trace that red wire to see if its live, was most likely hot for a cb, fog light switch or something. The little computer port is for the mechanic scanner for the codes if i'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
touch your tongue to it and see what happens!

its probably a hot wire for some accessory the previous owner installed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it would be a hot wire what would be the purpose of it going to the wiring harness for the door and being attached to the white wire? I'm at a loss with what the previous owner was doing with it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
3 prong fog light switches need a hot 12v lead to light up

·
Registered
715 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts