Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport. No problems with throwing po128 code for 5 years and now I get it all the time. Dealer says its a faulty thermostat or the unit that sends info regarding temp. Dealer says it will only happen when its cold out and he is right. During summer months, no code. As soon as fall hits, bammm, the code shows up. Supposedly the code throws because the engine is not warming up quick enough which is a bunch of BULL!.Engine warms up just fine and I have plenty of heat!

For now I have just been clearing the code but it ends up coming back on. I would like to know if this is a real problem and needs to have it fixed. Tired of feeding the dealer my hard earned CASH!

·
Super Moderator
15,370 Posts
I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport. No problems with throwing po128 code for 5 years and now I get it all the time. Dealer says its a faulty thermostat or the unit that sends info regarding temp. Dealer says it will only happen when its cold out and he is right. During summer months, no code. As soon as fall hits, bammm, the code shows up. Supposedly the code throws because the engine is not warming up quick enough which is a bunch of BULL!.Engine warms up just fine and I have plenty of heat!

For now I have just been clearing the code but it ends up coming back on. I would like to know if this is a real problem and needs to have it fixed. Tired of feeding the dealer my hard earned CASH!

Therm and housing is a cheap fix (less than $20) the cost is in antifreeze. That error can turn up if someone has installed a 185 degree thermostat instead of the factory spec 203 degree.

I used this Dorman therm and housing on my '14 about 40k miles ago and haven't had issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D8VL7KE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
5 Posts

I had the same issue a few months ago. Change the thermostat and engine coolant temp sensor. I did both for about $50 myself. Takes about an hour to do if you take your time.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My 12 just started doing it this year. I'm actually dying to fix this myself because I'm curious what the innards look like.

I've had heat issues every single year since new, and it's happening again - but a bit erratically this year (so far). So I wanna see whats inside.

What I don't want though, is having to deal with coolant disposal :p

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
My '12 JKU started chuckin that code in the late fall last year. Then in January, we hit single digits outside, and my cabin heat started to suck big time.

Thermo change is simple. Took me about an hour or so. Longest part is burping the system because it heat it up, cool it off, heat it up, cool it off.

Tons of videos on the tube about how to do it.

Tip: buy a no-spill funnel for burping the system. Will save you loads of time and frustration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts