Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a massive PITA! Details and some helpful hints to come....

Reactions: aqualungs

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Disassembling the stock bars and dropping the windshield was not bad and didn't take very long at all. Windshield pillar lights also had to come off.

First things tho - PS no longer sells two door version and four door version. Everyone gets all the pieces. So my kit includes the rear bar for the four door lol - relegated to the scrap metal pile for welding practice.

Also I was shocked when we took off the plastic, door surrounds and padding. No wonder why that front windshield comes down when a Jeep flops!!!!! The factory roll bar over the door connects to...nothing. The tube just ends. (Probably so you can drop the windshield.) It bolts to a little plate that also bolts to the windshield. The plate is just a step above...tinfoil. That is scarey.

The only instructions PS sends are for 07-10. Largely similar but there are a few differences. The tweeters is one - on older models they bolted on to the dash, on newer, they are molded into the dash. I think on 15+ they removed them and sunk them into the dash.

Be careful removing windshield wipers - if you hose them you cannot replace pieces, you must replace the whole unit. (We already knew this so we're careful.)

Jeep saves 10 cents on each build...by not painting under the door hinges. (Top hinge needs to come off.)

The fun started with the vertical support that goes up the side of the dash passenger side. A bit of plastic trimming is required. We couldn't find the dremel so had to hit three different Home Depot to buy a new one.

There is a little spacer bar that goes between the door jamb metal and the magnesium plate at the side of dash. Then the idea is the vertical support slides in behind this. But there really isn't enough room. We ended up having to trim the actual metal (there is a little lip that comes down and becomes the door sill). And still didn't fit. Behind the Chanel for the lip, Jeep put the money it saved on not painting door hinges and loaded the Chanel up with some hard af caulk. So another run to Home Depot for a chisel.

Then the foot for the support according to PS is supposed to butt up against the wires at the door sill. The problem became tighten the top of the support and the foot (which eventually bolts to the floor) starts kicking out. This is where we stopped - leery of cutting off any more metal or plastic, plan to email or call PS tomoro. A friend who has the same cage says they had to bash the magnesium panel - we don't want to do that.

Need to also find some touch up paint because some of the holes for the spacer plate chipped off paint. We broke one of the little plastic tabs that the bolts for the side plate go into (they were what held on the factory plastic at side of dash). These obviously aren't structural since they are tiny plastic, so no biggie I guess.

So we surrendered for the night. We reassembled the windshield brackets and tarped the Jeep. I will have to drive the car this week. Will resume next Saturday. Definitely plan a full day or two for install.

Then once you get it all fit in, you remove it all to paint it. We are taking my Jeep on a 5.0 (of 5.0) trail May 6. We will not have time to mess with painting as we have a few other things to do. So we are going to leave it in bare steel for the run, then pull it out afterwards to paint.

To be continued.

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Factory stuff removed...

Attachments

Reactions: ATX14 and Ingeniero

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I wonder if the GenRight is an easier drop-in?

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I wonder if the GenRight is an easier drop-in?
They all take some work. Even the Rockhard has to be massaged in a bit, but that last bit of this install takes this kit off my list.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just recently finished this task as well, i did the same left it in for a few weeks bare steel..recently had it powder coated and i love it.

It is a PITA, but i do like that it ties into the floor. Once video i watched stated that they took the roll bar cover and rolled it to the inside so it can still be used and cover the cage.

I had an issue with cutting the soundbar wish they could have supplied a guide for that..i did actually cut my wires but it was only 2 and respliced them with no issues.

I spoke to Rick at Poison spyder about my cage shaking when offroad..and he said there is a way to fix that..if you cut the Corner section off the stock door header bars that connects to the windshield and then weld that to the corner of the new cage it should stop the shaking. There is a place in Socal that does it to all of the PSC Cages they install. but because there is no longer any thing tieing the windshield with the cage it shakes a bit. i have not added my corner pieces yet..i dont want to mess with the powder coating yet...i need to grind a bit of it off to weld the corner on. i have seen one of the install guides and review that someone did on the web that did this but i cannot remember which one it was.

just takes patience and care for this install..i have attached some pics of my completed cage

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just recently finished this task as well, i did the same left it in for a few weeks bare steel..recently had it powder coated and i love it.

It is a PITA, but i do like that it ties into the floor. Once video i watched stated that they took the roll bar cover and rolled it to the inside so it can still be used and cover the cage.

I had an issue with cutting the soundbar wish they could have supplied a guide for that..i did actually cut my wires but it was only 2 and respliced them with no issues.

I spoke to Rick at Poison spyder about my cage shaking when offroad..and he said there is a way to fix that..if you cut the Corner section off the stock door header bars that connects to the windshield and then weld that to the corner of the new cage it should stop the shaking. There is a place in Socal that does it to all of the PSC Cages they install. but because there is no longer any thing tieing the windshield with the cage it shakes a bit. i have not added my corner pieces yet..i dont want to mess with the powder coating yet...i need to grind a bit of it off to weld the corner on. i have seen one of the install guides and review that someone did on the web that did this but i cannot remember which one it was.

just takes patience and care for this install..i have attached some pics of my completed cage
Thank you, perfect input. We had already contemplated doing the re-use stock tie in plates (or making new plates) at the windshield.

If it isn't too much trouble, do you have a picture down the side passenger panel from top of dash to where it shows the floor tie in? Something a little closer up at the floor like the lower left pic. Everytime he tightened the dash piece, the leg at the floor would "bump out".

We need to get install done this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts

Your installed pics look a lot more stout than the parts list you see online when looking to order. Powder Coating is gorgeous.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I used a clamp to the outside of the body to pull the bottom of the leg towards the out edge before I started drilling...its a little finicky if you don't want to scratch the body...but just be careful

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used a clamp to the outside of the body to pull the bottom of the leg towards the out edge before I started drilling...its a little finicky if you don't want to scratch the body...but just be careful
Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am appreciating the insight into this sport cage.
I would have never found it in the build forum, I don't read that forum much...

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wrong forum this should be in the build sheet unless your have questions.
This is the tech forum about installing/modding stuff. To the extent I can help others with their install, or they can help me, I think it is appropriate for this forum.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is the tech forum about installing/modding stuff. To the extent I can help others with their install, or they can help me, I think it is appropriate for this forum.
Agree here, this isn't a show and tell thread and sounds like there's def install questions.

Good work so far! I look forward to seeing the final product. I've def heard the PS cage install is a PITA! What made you go with this specific setup? For me it was bolt in RH4x4 sport cage (w known limitations but proven added protection) or with as complex as these other options get - drop the coin/hassle/downtime for a custom cage...

PS I still need to make a build thread here and update you on my rig :)

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agree here, this isn't a show and tell thread and sounds like there's def install questions.

Good work so far! I look forward to seeing the final product. I've def heard the PS cage install is a PITA! What made you go with this specific setup? For me it was bolt in RH4x4 sport cage (w known limitations but proven added protection) or with as complex as these other options get - drop the coin/hassle/downtime for a custom cage...

PS I still need to make a build thread here and update you on my rig :)
The support to the floor and the "joints" PS uses were what swayed me from Rock Hard. Then I considered GenRight - They replace ALL factory tube. But by the time I paid for the cage and install I was in custom cage budget territory.

That said, I wanted a full custom with exo skeleton (the only way to truly frame cage a JK), but what to do about the roof became a sticking point since my Jeep is still a DD and need to be able to wear a full top. So I went with bolt in to address the roof (can still run factory top) and may supplement it with a partial exo skeleton down the road. Maybe. For now just need to get this one in lol.

Waiting on that awesome update!

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok driver side went a bit easier and faster than passenger. Dropped the support in and it fit perfectly. It was almost too easy. However (because there always has to be a however it seems with this cage), the specs they gave to drill the holes in the door pillar were off. By about 1/4 inch. Time to do some grinding.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Compares to line up so far on passenger side.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok we dummy fit in the windshield bar and that snugged up passenger side quite a bit. None of the bolts are in yet so those should also help.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 69 Posts