Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about picking up the set f/r today as I'm due for a diff fluid change, so might as well replace the stock covers while I'm doing this.
question I have is in regards of clearance.

I have a Synergy adjustable TB in the front, and stock TB in the back with just a TF rear lower TB bracket.
I've read about cover clearance issues with aftermarket trackbars, so if I get this covers, would I run into TB issues with my setup and the PS covers ?
I'm running 33's, 1" bumpstop in the back, 2" bumpstop in the front, and zero rubbing anywhere.

Also, are this covers plug and play, nothing to grind to make them fit ? I think I've read the Teraflex ones needed some shaving.

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah no clearance issues for me. Stock rear track bar with axle side bracket and jks front adjustable track bar.

No grinding or anything. Easy install.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The new re-designed diff covers do not have any clearance issues with stock suspension. I have the stock rear trackbar and have the new re-designed cover and have no issues.

Order and enjoy!!

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Anyone ever have issues with their tie rod making contact with the PSC diff cover? I'm running Synergy tie rod, Synergy flipped drag ling and the Teraflex track bar. I have the Reid Racing Knuckles instead of stock knuckles but when I turn my steering wheel to full lock I have less than a 1/4" of clearance between the tie rod and the stock diff cover.

I have the new version of the PSC diff covers and my rear diff cover is fine with my RK rear track bar but I haven't installed the front because there won't be enough clearance with the tie rod.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot guys, I'll go to 4wp on Saturday to pick a pair of those bombshells :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a front synergy tie rod, synergy drag link, and Poison Spyder Diff covers, no clearance issue for me. I have the latest version of the diff covers.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just ordered the Poison Spyder covers today + Lube locker gaskets.
D30 cover: Part #PSC42-11-030-PC
D44 cover: Part #PSC42-11-044-PC
D30 gasket: Part #LULLLR-D030
D44 gasket: Part #LULLLR-D044

Thanks a lot everybody one more time.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I just ordered the Poison Spyder covers today + Lube locker gaskets. D30 cover: Part #PSC42-11-030-PC D44 cover: Part #PSC42-11-044-PC D30 gasket: Part #LULLLR-D030 D44 gasket: Part #LULLLR-D044 Thanks a lot everybody one more time.
Please post some pictures and a review after you get them installed.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I just ordered the Poison Spyder covers today + Lube locker gaskets.
D30 cover: Part #PSC42-11-030-PC
D44 cover: Part #PSC42-11-044-PC
D30 gasket: Part #LULLLR-D030
D44 gasket: Part #LULLLR-D044

Thanks a lot everybody one more time.

Big word of advice ---- Do not use the Lube Locker suggested torque suggestion of 35 psi ... you will snap the bolts. I snapped 2 when installing my PSC rear and was lucky that the snap/ break occurred on the outside of the DIFF and was able to back it out.

I then torqued all bolts to 24 psi and all has been good.

Refer to this thread for additional warnings

Otherwise my PSC cover is Rock solid

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Big word of advice ---- Do not use the Lube Locker suggested torque suggestion of 35 psi ... you will snap the bolts. I snapped 2 when installing my PSC rear and was lucky that the snap/ break occurred on the outside of the DIFF and was able to back it out.

I then torqued all bolts to 24 psi and all has been good.

Refer to this thread for additional warnings

Otherwise my PSC cover is Rock solid
X2

Happened to me the first time I used lube locker gaskets.

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
It says on the Poison Spyder web site that their covers have been redesigned to work with stock Wrangler JK's without suspension modifications. It used to be that you would have to use aftermarket track bars to clear the cover.

Bombshell Diff Cover - Dana 44 - Bare | Jeep 4X4 Off-Road Differential Covers | Poison Spyder Customs
There's a note at PS website stating not recommended with stock trackbars. Below is a copy of the note.

IMPORTANT FITMENT INFORMATION: On Jeep JK Rubicons with the stock front track bar (and all JK's with the stock rear track bar), the Dana 44 Bombshell may make contact with the track bar at full compression of the suspension. For this reason, the Dana 44 Bombshell is NOT recommended for use on the front Dana 44 of a Jeep JK Rubicon with the stock track bar, or on any Jeep JK with the stock rear track bar. Please see the FAQ section below for more information.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I had to grind down one of the spider legs on the bombshell to keep it from contacting my JKS trackbar. But i have the old bombshells. Nbd either way real easy to do with a dremmel. Ps i HATE lubelockers. I clean up excess oil with brake clean and lubelockers will disintegrate when they contact brake clean. Was pretty dissapointed. I just use gear oil RTV.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
There's a note at PS website stating not recommended with stock trackbars. Below is a copy of the note.

IMPORTANT FITMENT INFORMATION: On Jeep JK Rubicons with the stock front track bar (and all JK's with the stock rear track bar), the Dana 44 Bombshell may make contact with the track bar at full compression of the suspension. For this reason, the Dana 44 Bombshell is NOT recommended for use on the front Dana 44 of a Jeep JK Rubicon with the stock track bar, or on any Jeep JK with the stock rear track bar. Please see the FAQ section below for more information.
Well that is a bunch of false advertising. In big red letters on their web site, it states, " NEWLY RE-DESIGNED to accommodate ALL applications including STOCK Jeep Wrangler JK's and TJ's without suspension modifications!"

But then in small print at the bottom of their web page they say that the track bar may hit the differential cover.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have the riddller covers on my rubicon with an axle side bracket in the rear and a RK adj front tb and my front TB hits and doesnt have much clearance before it hits. the rear clears fine, if you have the D30 up front you might be fine, im looking at getting the metalcloak front TB as their TB is thinner in diameter and has a larger bend in it for higher clearance.

btw running RK 2.5" wiith 35s

·
Registered
2,555 Posts

I e-mailed Poison Sypder to ask why their web site says that the cover fits all stock JKs but then they have a disclaimer saying that it should not be used on any Jeep with a stock rear track bar. They replied with this

"The new Dana 44 diff covers where designed to fit with stock suspension and will work with most suspension lifts."

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think they have it right. It will work with all stock JK's...... The jeep Rubicon is really is not a stock JK at all right? I too was disappointed when I saw this "Newly designed" I really wanted to get these, I liked the paint schemes that folks have done. But I'm not going to modify the cover to work.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I e-mailed Poison Sypder to ask why their web site says that the cover fits all stock JKs but then they have a disclaimer saying that it should not be used on any Jeep with a stock rear track bar. They replied with this "The new Dana 44 diff covers where designed to fit with stock suspension and will work with most suspension lifts."
They told me the disclaimer just hadn't been removed after the redesign.

I have the "new" design on my rubicon front and back. No issues so far.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts