Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just purchased what looks like a RockBrawler rear bumper (1, not 2) from someone on Craigslist. All the installation instructions I found online involve drilling holes into the frame, attaching the bumper to the crossbar, and none of the parts lists match what I have.

The bumper I bought has no holes or attachment points for the crossbar. Just 2 plates (for the side rails, I assume), 4 bolts and 4 washers. In addition, the plates don't line up with 2 of the holes on the frame. I attached everything the only logical way I could think of, but there's something definitely wrong.

Does anyone else have this bumper? Did I buy a Chinese knockoff?

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
It has the spyder so I would say no to it being a knock off. I believe you need to use the factory tow hook bolts and inner nut plate for the two additional holes. How does the bumper bolt to those two brackets?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I just looked at the directions too, so is there no bolt holes in the bottom?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has the spyder so I would say no to it being a knock off. I believe you need to use the factory tow hook bolts and inner nut plate for the two additional holes. How does the bumper bolt to those two brackets?
The pics didn't come out great, but there's 2 brackets inside the bumper, each with 2 integrated nuts. The PSC bolt goes through the plate, through the frame rail and into the nut.

The tow hook bolts don't fit the bumper. The 2 bolts on the left hold the plate to the rail, and are from the OEM bumper.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,485 Posts
those brackets go on the inside of the frame. the L down and you will see where the bolts go that way.

·
Super Moderator
22,485 Posts
the one you show goes in the opposite side frame rail. you will see that with the slots the nuts welded on the bumper will match up

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the one you show goes in the opposite side frame rail. you will see that with the slots the nuts welded on the bumper will match up
I'll give it a shot. It just didn't make sense to me since the holes in the frame are bigger than the hole in the plate. Unless I need to drill new holes?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Did the previous owner have that powdercoated?
PS does not offer that bumper with powdercoat.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
from what i can see,, looks looks like the real deal. here is a install video
what was the reason guy was selling?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SROHpKDazEM
He bought it on consignment and needed to get rid of it. He's selling a bunch of PSC stuff at cost. I probably didn't ask as many questions as I should have.

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/pts/6089987303.html

The quality of the bumper itself is no worse than the PSC front bumper I already own. It's just that the install for the front made way more sense.

·
Super Moderator
22,485 Posts
I'll give it a shot. It just didn't make sense to me since the holes in the frame are bigger than the hole in the plate. Unless I need to drill new holes?
my Shrockworks has that setup. the holes are bigger so it is easier to get the bolt in and get the hole aligned with the welded on nut.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my Shrockworks has that setup. the holes are bigger so it is easier to get the bolt in and get the hole aligned with the welded on nut.

No dice. The plates don't fit inside the frame. Tried installed with the L down. Same story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I doubting the authenticity. I'm sure if you shoot a call to PS they would help you out if it's real.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Your pics don't look like the video. Could it be a bumper for a different model?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Your pics don't look like the video. Could it be a bumper for a different model?
That thought crossed my mind too. The video shows the brawler 2. The bumper in question is the brawler 1. If I'm not mistaken PS only make a bumper without the tow hitch for the JK. So in theory this should be the right bumper.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After some twisting and prying for 20 minutes, it finally fit. The fact that the design doesn't match anything on the PSC site does concern me a bit, but it looks and fits great.

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
I can't imagine a copy that would have the spyder logo......but who knows these days, glad you got it on.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I can't imagine a copy that would have the spyder logo......but who knows these days, glad you got it on.
Go check Alibaba. There are plenty of PS, crawler concepts, metalcloke, etc etc knockoffs, logos and all.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts