Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got both the trail stinger and fair-lead mount, and I'm curious as to how the mount is installed.

Do only the front 2 bolts on the bumper get used?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
591 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
591 Posts
By the instructions, the trail stinger goes on in place of your OEM bumper. The install instructions for the stinger clearly tell you to remove your bumper.

From the main product page: Stingers do NOT include winch mounting provisions. Stingers will work with any manufacture's winch mount plate

From the Fairlead instructions: Install the Winch Fairlead Mount BETWEEN the winch and the bumper or winch plate. You may need longer bolts (not included) to secure the winch to the bumper or winch plate, to compensate for the thickness of the Winch Fairlead Mount

So you are going to have to remove whatever bumper you have on there to install the stinger and you will need a winch plate to mount your winch and fairlead too.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the instructions, the trail stinger goes on in place of your OEM bumper. The install instructions for the stinger clearly tell you to remove your bumper.

From the main product page: Stingers do NOT include winch mounting provisions. Stingers will work with any manufacture's winch mount plate

From the Fairlead instructions: Install the Winch Fairlead Mount BETWEEN the winch and the bumper or winch plate. You may need longer bolts (not included) to secure the winch to the bumper or winch plate, to compensate for the thickness of the Winch Fairlead Mount

So you are going to have to remove whatever bumper you have on there to install the stinger and you will need a winch plate to mount your winch and fairlead too.

Hope this helps.

I understand that the oem bumper comes off to install everything. It's the fact that only one set of bolt holes lines up with the frame holes.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I understand that the oem bumper comes off to install everything. It's the fact that only one set of bolt holes lines up with the frame holes.
That's pretty typical. If I remember correctly, my Metalcloak only uses 2 of the 4 bolts on top (one on each frame rail). Did you also check the bottom of the bumper to see if 2 more bolts attach below?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's pretty typical. If I remember correctly, my Metalcloak only uses 2 of the 4 bolts on top (one on each frame rail). Did you also check the bottom of the bumper to see if 2 more bolts attach below?

Yeah it's just like the oem bumper in terms of bolt hole count. Just not a big fan of the idea that a winch yanking on my jeep is only held in by 2 bolts.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yeah it's just like the oem bumper in terms of bolt hole count. Just not a big fan of the idea that a winch yanking on my jeep is only held in by 2 bolts.
If there are holes on the bottom of the bumper, you should be able to use the two factory bolts there as well. So then you'd have 4 bolts holding it on.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
Jake, that stinger isn't meant to provide any means from which to mount a winch. You also need a separate winch mounting plate which is separate from the stinger. The winch mounting plate is held onto the frame by four Grade 5 or Grade 8 1/2x13 bolts. There are two more sheet metal bolts that hold the rear of the winch mounting plate but they're not really structural, it's the front four Grade 5 or Grade 8 (Grade 5 is plenty) bolts that provide the strength via the frame underneath it.

The winch bolts to the winch mounting plate which is then bolted to the frame.

Here are some winch mounting plates to take a look at... https://www.google.com/search?hl=en....1124...0.4FjtKQAOQFg#spd=3656936688338128209

The separate fairlead mounting bracket you have is held on by two front bolts though many winch mounting brackets incorporate one into the design.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
It sounds like you are missing where they say that you need a winch plate....
The stinger does not mount the winch, only the fairlead, the winch needs to be attached to a seperate mounting system
2302290_2_500.jpg

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the poison spyder fairlead isn't a winch mounting system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
808 Posts
Not even close, it doesn't say that on the description either.
x2 on what Jerry said. All the fairlead mount does is allow you to mount a fairlead on the bumper if you don't have a built in fairlead mount (roller or hawse style I believe). Has nothing to do with the physical mounting of the winch.

·
Registered
591 Posts
So the poison spyder fairlead isn't a winch mounting system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No - just like I told you in post #4.

If you wanted a stinger and a place to mount the winch and fairlead, you should have gotten the PSC BFH bumper with the stinger of your choice.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got a winch plate that will 100% work. Ordered the Smittybuilt winch plate. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
290 Posts
im not sure what your issue is, i have the poison spyder bfh trail stinger and it uses all 6 factory bolts to hold it on, plenty stout for the winch in my opinion

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
im not sure what your issue is, i have the poison spyder bfh trail stinger and it uses all 6 factory bolts to hold it on, plenty stout for the winch in my opinion

I don't have the bfh stinger just the regular trail stinger. It doesn't have a cross section on top of the bumper to mount a winch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts