Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a fan of CJs (don't tell my TJ) and sometimes peruse various sites selling CJs for the hell of it. I thought I'd dig a little deeper in case I accidentally stumble upon something that might be worth a closer look.

What are some general pointers I should know when looking through CJs? For instance, are there years that are more desirable or years I should stay away from?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
78-79 have front disk unlike 76-77 and less emissions controls than 80-86. If you can get a 4 speed in 78-79 then you get the famous T-18 transmission. However, the single most important thing is the damn rust. I'd take a CJ-7 with no rust and a blown motor before one with rust that purrs like a kitten.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm a fan of CJs (don't tell my TJ) and sometimes peruse various sites selling CJs for the hell of it. I thought I'd dig a little deeper in case I accidentally stumble upon something that might be worth a closer look.

What are some general pointers I should know when looking through CJs? For instance, are there years that are more desirable or years I should stay away from?
id look for one with either a 304AMC/360AMC or a chevy 350 swap already done. In truth the 304AMCs are turds and expensive to rebuild compared to chevy motors but they are better than the straight 6's. Look for one with a V8

·
dirt road inspector
2,972 Posts
id look for one with either a 304AMC/360AMC or a chevy 350 swap already done. In truth the 304AMCs are turds and expensive to rebuild compared to chevy motors but they are better than the straight 6's. Look for one with a V8
Go for the 401. Same block as the 304 & 360. It came in the Cherokee Chiefs and trucks. I snagged a low mileage one for my CJ-7.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Since there aren’t many threads, why not revive an older one (still only 3 threads down).

Rust is the first and there are not even any close seconds.

Beyond rust and based on owning a CJ8, I am of the opinion you should target the 80’s. I don’t know the exact year the 7s started using wide track axles, but that’s where I would start.

Then you need to decide if you want stock or a modified. If you go for stock, find the coolest one you can because they are hard to find. If you target modified, it really doesn’t matter. Personally if you like modified, I agree about getting one with a V8. Lastly, just look for leaks. I can’t believe how simple these vehicles used to be.

Everything else is aesthetics and optional. That’s how you make it your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Morning all ! I’ve been absent from this site since I sold my ‘78 CJ5 back in 2017. I was lucky enough to score a sweet ‘81 CJ7 from a good friend. He bought it from a fellow he knew back in 2013, put a 2” suspension lift, new shocks, new BFG AT’s (31) along with new Aluminum wheels. He drove it occasionally and then parked it.

304 transplant but they kept the stock SR4 transmission. I will say the beach and streets are all this Jeep has seen and will see. The SR4 is running smooth for now. When the time comes I’ll upgrade.

Honestly I prefer the narrow track axles, gives a much cleaner look. I like the tires staying inside of the body profile. I put G2 one piece axles along with 3.73 gears. Dumped the crappy cracked hard top but kept the doors.

Leaks-yeah we got leaks. Replaced the rear main so no more brown puddles, the. Replaced the “let’s start leaking since nothing else is” steering box.

Water pump and radiator are next since the other day both dcid d to give up the ghost within days of each other

Oh yeah, only paid $8000 and showing 89000 on odometer !!!

Yeah, it is a sickness

·
Registered
167 Posts
Also JeffreyBomb, check the frame area around the spring hangers for cracks or repairs (abuse). Leaks are easy to fix but a damaged frame not so much. Heck body panels are cheap to replace as well. Floor pans and rocker panel rust out is a big issue as well.

The 258 engines generally run well if taken care of. The V8’s same thing. It all depends on what you plan to do with the Jeep. Mine has a V8 only because that’s what was in it. My CJ5 had the 258 and ran great, decent gas mileage as well.

I prefer stock or possibly some mild upgrades for comfort etc. your Jeep your choice as mentioned above.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts