Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced sound bar speakers with Polk 650 DXi, Marine Rated

Replaced my sound bar speakers with these today. You can see the Polk that replaced the quality OEM speaker. It came with bracket to mount also included in box.

Sound actually amazing, I can't believe what was missing from the stock speakers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just ordered a set of Infinity speakers for my sound bar. It's been over a week and still waiting for them from Amazon...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't go wrong with Infinity. You will be amazed. I don't plan on changing out stock player, or adding subs, or amps. Im glad these Polks had good bass response from soundbar. With the oem speaker, I thought soundbar construction itself was issue of drowned out, baffled sounding lows, but it is surprisingly sturdy, and helps with bass response with these Polks.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same with me. Maybe I will upgrade the front speakers????
Dash and tweeters are next on the list. I may upgrade to NAV deck after a few years, we shall see.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Your stock ones are not the Infinity I take. I was thinking of upgrading my Infinity spkrs with the Polks, too. Glad they sound much better. I have the basic head unit, too.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
JKatfish said:
Your stock ones are not the Infinity I take. I was thinking of upgrading my Infinity spkrs with the Polks, too. Glad they sound much better. I have the basic head unit, too.
I think all jeep speakers are infinity speakers, however the "upgraded infinity system" has an infinity sub as well

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would hope those were not infinity. Seemed like my 87 cherokees delco speakers, no design improvement

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
I didnt want to replace the speakers until I get the power situation worked out. Putting in new speakers to me seems pointless, since the soundbar is so underpowered from factory. I have a Dodge Nitro amp on order, and will see if that fixes the soundbar power issue, if it does, THEN I will put in speakers, otherwise, I don't see the point, since the bar seems to get no more than 10 watts of power.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
BTW, I am looking to replace the fronts. Since the fronts have a separate woofer and tweeter, component speakers are the best solution. Component speakers come with crossovers. I was wondering if you guys use the crossovers, or is the OEM wiring already freq. separated so it's just plug and play and the crossovers are not necessary?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I upgraded the base stock speakers in my '12 with Polk marine grade. They're so much better. The clarity and bass response as well as volume are very much improved. I must say that they are not warm though. At higher volumes with the stock-base head unit, they can at times sound a bit harsh to my ears. But still, a great improvement. BTW, I installed the DB 651s. I don't know how they compare to the 650s.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey ZZ, I think the 651's are better. I went for the straight $100 speaker, lol. I definitely needed the clarity they bring. I am getting old so not really looking at amps and all that anymore...Already got some buzzing sounds in my ears.:punk:

NFR, I am planning on components for the dash and wasn't sure if I should put somewhere else and cut out that dash tweeter. We have a pretty custom shop here locally I am going to use for that. Might possibly put up by the visor.

That may change if Polk doesn't have one, as I am starting to lean toward Polk's in front too. All my home audio is Polk, and I have had that system for a very long time.

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
Went with 651s here too.
Big improvement for the small effort.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I like the speakers!

I had a quick question because I've been bouncing between these and Alpines. Does anyone know how much better these are than the Infinity speakers from the "premium" sound system? And how to make the sound so that the front and back BOTH have equal amounts of power/volume?

·
Registered
40 Posts
image-4192740213.jpg

These are the infinity speakers I installed. They are not the OEM infinities. They sound much better than my stock speakers. Thinking about putting them in the dash also.

·
Registered
498 Posts
chris.george said:
I like the speakers!

I had a quick question because I've been bouncing between these and Alpines. Does anyone know how much better these are than the Infinity speakers from the "premium" sound system? And how to make the sound so that the front and back BOTH have equal amounts of power/volume?
I just put in alpine sps-610s that I got at best buy for $100. (sound bar.) no other upgrades and it sounds a ton better. I have the upgraded Infiniti stock.

·
Registered
107 Posts
To adjust power front/back, use the Fader control. It comes up as an option when you adjust bass, treble, balance, etc.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Phishe said:
I just put in alpine sps-610s that I got at best buy for $100. (sound bar.) no other upgrades and it sounds a ton better. I have the upgraded Infiniti stock.
I don't get how people are getting better sound just by replacing the speakers? Everything I have read says that the factory head units underpower the soundbar speakers. So if all you do is replace those speakers and do nothing else, shouldn't your new speakers be just as grossly underpowered and not sound nearly as good as they could? I guess maybe the sound might be slightly better as the new speakers may be better quality, but I just have a hard time believing the sound is that much better..

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't get how people are getting better sound just by replacing the speakers? Everything I have read says that the factory head units underpower the soundbar speakers. So if all you do is replace those speakers and do nothing else, shouldn't your new speakers be just as grossly underpowered and not sound nearly as good as they could? I guess maybe the sound might be slightly better as the new speakers may be better quality, but I just have a hard time believing the sound is that much better..
If you look at the stock speaker you will notice it has no tweeter at all. between using polyfill to help the low end and having a tweeter (that is crossed over with the polks) the sound difference is amazing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts