Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a Rubicon and wondering what kinda trailer I should a buy to go with it. Planning on spending several months in Co. Can you show me what you kind of trailer you have? Thinking about the Castita? What is realistic about towing with my jeep?

·
Premium Member
9,571 Posts
Getting a Rubicon and wondering what kinda trailer I should a buy to go with it. Planning on spending several months in Co. Can you show me what you kind of trailer you have? Thinking about the Castita? What is realistic about towing with my jeep?
This is the trailer I am planning to buy at this time. Saw one out on our last type and while on the heavy side for my Jeep I don't see any issue pulling it.

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
You really haven't given us much information. A Rubicon? JK, JKU, TJ Rubicon... Each have different towing and braking characteristics and NONE of them are the best vehicle for towing.
There are things you can do to make towing safer with a Wrangler. Make sure your camper has brakes and install a brake controller and understand how it works.

If the camper you buy can be used with a weight distribution hitch...buy one and use it! If you can't use a WDH then install a friction sway control hitch. I used the specific links below because etrailer provides very good information and explanations and quality products. You can buy from anywhere and etrailer does have many options.

Everyone asks, "Can I tow this? Or "How much can I tow?" The question they SHOULD be asking is, "How much can I safely STOP in an OH SHIT MOMENT?" Meaning in a emergency situation -blown 35" or 37" tire on Jeep on a tight corner and traffic is stopped ahead of you OR brakes fail on Jeep going down a long hill or mountain pass, will the camper stop everything safely? I know this sounds extreme BUT if you prepare for these type of situations you'll be well prepared for distracted drivers or wildlife dashing across the highway.

If you've never towed before there's going to be a learning curve. Your situational awareness needs to be 100%! Towing mirrors with blind spot mirrors are absolutely a must! Pulling out in traffic will take longer, stopping will take longer. You're going down the interstate, leaving plenty of stopping distance in front of you and an idiot cuts your braking distance by a 1/3rd...now what?! This WILL happen!!!!!
Trying to pass another vehicle will raises concerns that are not an issue otherwise. And being passed also raises concerns if they dart in front of you at a stop light. I got so frustrated (putting in nicely) with douche bags around me when I'm towing I bought a dash cam to protect myself from them. Especially, the idiot that cuts my braking distance just so they can get an extra 12' ahead of where they were. If I end up rear ending them, with the dash cam, I can prove they cut me off!!
Good luck!

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dis...nTU5qG_SbKy-vN9yigpjDgmzEQKJtvdEaAkNhEALw_wcB

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dis...R7Ckerqlk7QUseRULAfn7jWXuo0h23GUaAv4aEALw_wcB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are looking hard at a JKU Rubicon. The 16' and 17' Casita trailers weigh in at 2500 pounds. Using weight distribution and trailer braking, the math says we will be fine. But, we would love to hear real life feed back. And thanks for the answers Sinister6.

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
We are looking hard at a JKU Rubicon. The 16' and 17' Casita trailers weigh in at 2500 pounds. Using weight distribution and trailer braking, the math says we will be fine. But, we would love to hear real life feed back. And thanks for the answers Sinister6.
Because the search feature here sucks. Try Googling "towing with a JK or JKU. Or something like that... It will give you tons of threads here on towing as well as what others are towing. :thumb:

·
Registered
578 Posts
I just talked with a guy this morning who just got back from Michigan, we are in Texas and pulls his 17' Casita with his 2013 Wrangler JK, His Casita is 10 years old and has put around 75,000 miles on it since new, Oh, he and his wife are in there 80's. He did also say that he paid around $10,000 for it new, 10 years ago, he thinks he can sell it for $8,000 today, he says it's in perfect shape and has always been stored under cover.

trainman

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I just talked with a guy this morning who just got back from Michigan, we are in Texas and pulls his 17' Casita with his 2013 Wrangler JK, His Casita is 10 years old and has put around 75,000 miles on it since new, Oh, he and his wife are in there 80's. He did also say that he paid around $10,000 for it new, 10 years ago, he thinks he can sell it for $8,000 today, he says it's in perfect shape and has always been stored under cover.

trainman
he could get more than that if in great condition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts