Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i left my doors and rear windows off, n was hit by a damn near flash flood... got a 4in pool in the bottom of the jeep, soaking into my carpet.... the seats were actually dry on my way home from work... lol go figure....

got a couple questions:
1. I know there are drain plugs in the jeep, where are they?? and how do i get to them??
once they're out, should i just leave them out??
2. I've got the jeep in my garage, the doors are still off, gonna let it dry in there until I can bake it in the sun tomorrow... is there anything else i should do??
3. is there anything i should do to prevent the carpet from smelling like a 400lb guy's stomach flap??

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Lift the carpet up. The plugs are under there. Front and back pull the plugs. Bake in the sun. It'll dry. Mine's been wet a few times. It dries and it doesn't stink. Or maybe I'm just used to it.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Mines been rained on a few times, bakin' in the sun is the way to go. Also, make sure your cup holders aren't full of water. Mine were when I got rained on and they get kinda nasty just by being wet.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
The carpet in the jeeps is kinda like an indoor/outdoor carpet. They dry fairly quick and usually dont hold much odor. Like the others said, pull the plugs and let it dry in the sun.
As far as the plugs...if you plan on it getting wet again you might as well leave em out. throw them in the glove box.

·
Registered
359 Posts
pull the plugs and let it sit. i have taken a hose into mine to clean out mud and dirt. i generally put the plugs back in, but i dont see why you can not just leave them out.

Something a lot of people do, is remove the carpet completely. I personally have removed All the carpet and put on HERCULINER which is a do-it-yourself bed liner which is similar to the Rhino truck bed liners, the main difference is you have to do All the work yourself, which is why it is so cheap to do.

With no carpet and a good bedliner in your jeep, you wont care what gets in you jeep because you can simply wash it out with a hose.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya i have actually been going back n fourth on the hurculiner... i went out n bought the package with the roller, brush and the gallon of the liner... ended up returning it because after pulling up the back carpet, i had some second thoughts about how "professional" it would look, at least compared to a professional spray job...,,, im no stranger to the way of the hand-tool, Ive been modding my cars for years, except they've all been sport cars... was wondering what you guys thought about ur hurculiner jobs? how'd they look compared to the original carpet? ...

thanks for the other suggestions, ill be taking care of that in the morning!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Herculiner is actually pretty simple to do, and it's not hard to get a good looking job done.
The hardest part is getting the prep work done.
I used it in the bed of my old Tacoma; it looked pro when I was done. It didn't last too awful long, but I attribute that mostly to poor prep work. Being inside a Jeep, I bet even my lazy arse can get a good looking job done that would last!:D

·
Registered
155 Posts
lol no carpet and some after market seats and marine radio no worries about the rain or a waterhose when it gets dirty just hose it off leave the plugs out and it drains right on through and as far as the plugs take em out and stick them in through the bottom and if it catches you again with carpet no need to pull up the carpet to get them out

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as a matter of fact, that's almost exactly what i was originally planning on doing... except i was going to have the seats reupholstered in marine leather, i was actually planning on using the exact same model stereo i installed on my old boat..., but i ended up loving the infinity stereo i have on there... i had it soaking wet last week when i got caught with the top down in a storm and no problems what so ever... after i looked at the seat covers the past couple weeks, ive figured out the obvious decision there.... so the herculiner really is a good idea? i love what ill be able to do with it, but hate to ruin the look of a new jeep with 10k miles on it... at least so quickly after buying it...

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
i love what ill be able to do with it, but hate to ruin the look of a new jeep with 10k miles on it... at least so quickly after buying it...
This is what has been holding me off too. Mine has 35K now and I'm still holding off from bed lining it. It will eventually get bed lined but the newness hasn't worn off yet enough for me. The other problem is time. I teach and for the last 6 years my summers have been jam packed and this summer is no exception. Maybe when the nest empties in a few years this will get better and I'll have time to do this mod. I'll probably kick myself after it is done for waiting so long. :bottom:

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
This is what has been holding me off too. Mine has 35K now and I'm still holding off from bed lining it. It will eventually get bed lined but the newness hasn't worn off yet enough for me. The other problem is time. I teach and for the last 6 years my summers have been jam packed and this summer is no exception. Maybe when the nest empties in a few years this will get better and I'll have time to do this mod. I'll probably kick myself after it is done for waiting so long. :bottom:
You still have your Jeep, it's never to late for mods. The only time you should kick yourself is if you sell it, like some guy I know on here did. ;):(

·
Registered
372 Posts
as far as the plugs take em out and stick them in through the bottom and if it catches you again with carpet no need to pull up the carpet to get them out
Simply brilliant!!! Thanks Man, learn something new everytime I log in. :doh:

·
Registered
48 Posts
lol no carpet and some after market seats and marine radio no worries about the rain or a waterhose when it gets dirty just hose it off leave the plugs out and it drains right on through and as far as the plugs take em out and stick them in through the bottom and if it catches you again with carpet no need to pull up the carpet to get them out
Nice and Genius.

/me goes off to google Herculiner

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
A pool in your Jeep is way better than your Jeep in a pool.

I leave my drain plugs out all the time.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
You still have your Jeep, it's never to late for mods. The only time you should kick yourself is if you sell it, like some guy I know on here did. ;):(
Couldn't agree more. I typically keep vehicles 10 years. I have a feeling this one is going to rot out from under me or be pried from my cold dead fingers. I actually like the thought of it getting old so I won't be so afraid to try things on it. Right now I worry too much. Eventually, I'll be in the get it done mode. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya i hear you... eventually i just get sick of the carpet, do the hurculiner n call it a day... what did everybody do with the wires that run under the carpet?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts