Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2013 Commando green JK Unlimited 2 weeks ago and since day 1 I have had poor radio reception. I took it to the dealership and they advised me that it is the actual radio station transmission, but no one I know has any issue with radio reception. Is anyone else hqving issues? I did send Jeep a message and am awaiting a reply.

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
I bought a 2013 Commando green JK Unlimited 2 weeks ago and since day 1 I have had poor radio reception. I took it to the dealership and they advised me that it is the actual radio station transmission, but no one I know has any issue with radio reception. Is anyone else hqving issues? I did send Jeep a message and am awaiting a reply.
check to make sure your antenna is all the way screwed on. I got home with my 2013 and the antenna was almost all the way unscrewed.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Check the connection behind the radio as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was the first thing I checked. They said they checked over everything and nothing was wrong. The funny thing is I drive by a radio station on my wsy to work and I have static when I drive by it. The one service guy said that the radios are mediocre. After that, I sent Jeep an email.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Even with a crap radio, you should be able to pick up local stations without much, if any, static. I say its a connection issue.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Something sounds wrong, my JK has zero static, both with the stock antenna and the stubby I replaced it with.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah. Something has to be up. Could be something with the radio itself. Wost part is it came with the Alpine system....so its worse.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After 3 trips to the dealer they have determined it is an issue with the radio and it needs replaced. Should happen next week.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Glad they figured it out, sounds like a simple fix.

·
Registered
31 Posts
george412 said:
After 3 trips to the dealer they have determined it is an issue with the radio and it needs replaced. Should happen next week.
I have the same issue as you george412 on my 2013. I will also take this up with the dealer. Hopefully I'll have the same success as you. Btw, did they replace it yet & is there a difference?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the final word from the dealer and Jeep is that the crappy reception is how the radio operates where I live and they are giving me a month's payment. With that, I will buy a 730n when my Sirius runs out next summer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Forgot to say that they did replace the radio and the reception was and is still terrible. They took me for a ride in another JKU and same crappy reception in there. Call Jeep or send them an email. I know something is messed up somewhere and if they get enough complaints they will have to look into it further.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Both my '11 and '12 had terrible reception. It really is a Jeep thing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I first got my 2010 it was decent but now its gotten worse. I have trouble picking up the local station clearly. I guess maybe its time for an aftermarket radio!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Same Jeep, same problem. Horrible reception on this thing. I'd agree it's a "Jeep thing", but I don't think that applies in this situation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pittsburgh. In the city.I have no issues in my wife's Sorento nor my Tundra I traded in on the Jeep. I have Sirius free for now, buy I need to resolve the issue by the time it's no longer free.

·
Supporting Vendor
621 Posts
i would have them replace the antenna cable from the radio back to the antenna base as you might have a pinched or damaged cable. Or have them pay for lifetime sirius radio

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The dealer said they tested it and there isn't an issue with the cable. The dealer and Jeep have pretty much told me there is nothing more they will do other than cut me a check for a months payment. In the Spring I will replace the cable, it's only 12 bucks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally fixed...there is apparently a wire that is ran with the antenna cable. The dealer rerouted one of the cables and no no static!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts