Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2014 JK with hard top. I was wondering how feasable it is to pop off the hard top (real quick) for those days its super nice out. I could fabricate a make shift top lifter-offer in my garage and use those quick release bolts......could the top be taken off and put back on in a reasonable amount of time?

The alternative is to take the top off for the warm months and get a Trektop NZ by Bestop (no frame hardware required).

Thoughts on the matter?

·
Registered
249 Posts
The alternative is to take the top off for the warm months and get a Trektop NZ by Bestop (no frame hardware required).
i think this would be much easier than constantly taking the hardtop off and on, but i also dont own a hardtop. the quick fastener idea for the hardtop might lead to unwanted squeaking/rattling. one of my buddies has a JK that he bought with the dual top option. he leaves the hardtop on for winter, and puts the softie on for summer.

·
Registered
225 Posts
pop the top is really not the option. Take the top off, store it, make sure nothing is going to hit it is more like it. If you want something quick - make yourself a quick popper offer. Plenty of threads here for how you might do it. taking the top off is a 2 person job if you don't have some kind of hoist made to do the sam. I agree with the below - if topless is the way to go, do the softy in the summers

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
I currently have a 2014 JK with hard top. I was wondering how feasable it is to pop off the hard top (real quick) for those days its super nice out. I could fabricate a make shift top lifter-offer in my garage and use those quick release bolts......could the top be taken off and put back on in a reasonable amount of time?

Thoughts on the matter?
There are a few different Hard Top Hoists by Lange that make taking the hard top on and off easier and quicker. But you have to have the space and it's still not the easiest thing to do.

The Bestop Trektop NX is a good solution but it isn't designed to come all the way off. You'll have the sunrider option and the windows come out, but it won't go all the way back like the factory tops do.

Let me know what questions you have or if you'd like a quote!

-Ryan

·
Registered
90 Posts
Takes me, and a friend, about 10 minutes to get the hard top off/on. Including the hardware removal, and I just have the stock hardware. If you don't have a friend (ha!) you can rig something and it will probably take an extra 10 minutes. Not much time at all.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, i never thought about the hard top developing a squeek....i can totally see that happening.

Ok, Trektop will be the option then. I didn't want my hard top hanging in my garage for 8 months of the year if i could help it. Now i'll just jam it in the shed during the warm months.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
If you have a GOOD hoist in your garage...maybe 15-20 minutes by yourself in total?

I have both a hard top and a soft top. The hard top is about to get put away until late October/early November as it is almost soft top time.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I never timed it... I have a hoist I built in my garage and it takes about the same amount of time to remove the top as it takes to remove the t-tops (so just double your t-top removal time). I have only had my jeep since February and I have removed the hardtop at least 5 times. Since I built the hoist it's very fast and easy to remove and install the hardtop. Personally since I already have a hardtop I don't see a reason to buy a softop. But then again I usually have the doors off when I take the top off so I may be odd in that way.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
I cringe everytime I see that video.... Really dude? Really? WTF? (Hope he isn't a member here)....

·
Registered
661 Posts
I love how the dog leaves the scene at the end.

Back to the hard top removal...
I built a hoist in my garage and it takes about 20-30 minutes to pop it off or put it back on.
That's not too bad really, for a one man job.
I did buy a soft top though, for when we take a trip and want more versatility while we're out.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I took both my hardtop(JK) and my son's (TJ) off a few days ago. 4 eye bolts in the beam for each along with ratchet straps. Both hanging in my garage. I just backed in, positioned Jeep, and hoisted by myself. Not hard at all. Soft tops currently on.

·
Registered
517 Posts
With my Racor lift I can usually take the top off in 15 minutes or so. I use the stock bolts and just keep the torx driver in the Jeep. It just takes practice to get it down to a science.

I back into my driveway, remove the freedom panels and all bolts on the hard top.

Before I back in to the garage I lift the rear window but close the tailgate. Make sure you can clear the door with the window open if you are going to try this ;-)

Back in, lower the lift, attach the hooks, raise the lift and drive away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts