Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
92' yj jeep, when starting in 1'st or 2nd gear this loud thud' thud' thud' (completely random, sometimes it wont thud) starts coming from under the rear end, i feel it as well, i can stop it by putting the clutch in while still moving, any ideas?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
How long has it been since you last changed your oil in the differential? That is supposed to be done every 15K, according to DC. If it has been a while, do the oil change, and inspect the gears inside your differential. Not unheard of to loose the end of your axle, the button, into your diff. fluid. Some one on this forum just had that happen a couple of weeks ago. Also check your U-joint at the end of your rear drive shaft, it may be going south on you. Releasing the pressure when putting in your clutch, causing the noise to stop, may just be the U-joint ready to break.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i had thuogh it was the u joint as well, replaced it, still thudded. thanks for the other suggestions. Also this first happened all of a sudden when i had left my e-brake on and started to go and then the thud' could it be my e-brake sticking?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
You may want to break down your rear wheels off of the Jeep, and get a visual on your brakes then. You may have kicked off one of the adjustment bars for your drum brakes. Should be no problem to spot that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts