Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been working on a pop-up Skylight kit for Freedom Panels - the idea is to offer a DIY-installable kit that would come complete with everything you'd need to do both Freedom Panels - tinted tempered glass skylights, hinges, latches, weatherseal, etc. This is a concept drawing of what it would look like:

We've done a prototype and it's worked out very well so we're now working to get the hardware ready for production. The production hardware will look slightly different than the prototype hardware in these next photos, but it's basically similar.

Based on the preliminary costing we've done on the kit components, the complete kit can be made available for a very affordable price.

What do people think of the idea?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I for one have the hot heads headliner panel installed inside my freedom top. Can you make something like this work with those? You pics show a bare top on the inside.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Hey @Sucker Punch been following scherbs ideas thread for years.. like the flip up windows just we're not hard top people. What would be nice is if one could place a tinted soft window above the drivers seats etc or would this be a bit over kill.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
I like the idea behind yours and Jeetops, but to me, there just isn't enough glass area. Maybe I am spoiled by the cars of the 70's, where the "T top" panel is almost all glass.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Thought about this a couple years ago. Then someone told me it's been done. I've always liked moon roofs.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I for one have the hot heads headliner panel installed inside my freedom top. Can you make something like this work with those? You pics show a bare top on the inside.
My guess is that you would eliminate that liner since this glass would replace that entire section.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
If I had to do the cutting/install involved for such a small glass area, I'd rather install a Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop or the Webasto Throwback.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I like the idea and would enjoy the chalange of a DIY kit. The pop-up feature is nice but I would still be interested in it if it was a fixed window disgin. Like many others I use my hard top mostly in the winter months but I would love a skylight for those months making it feel more open.

I know it wasn't part of the orginal post but I like photo of a moon roof over the back seat too.

·
Commercial Member
125 Posts
What's the target price point? I like the idea and hope it goes well in testing. As for fixed skylights there are already other existing options like jkskylights.com DIY kit.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not to derail the thread but the fixed ones have been done: https://offroadautoparts.net
What's the target price point? I like the idea and hope it goes well in testing. As for fixed skylights there are already other existing options like jkskylights.com DIY kit.
Our target price is less than either of those (significantly less than the one you linked to and way less than the one waynm linked to!). A few differences - those are fixed and ours open, also both of those are plastic (polycabonate, acrylic or plexiglas) and ours are real tempered glass. The plastic ones are subject to hazing over time due to UV exposure, and more prone to scratching than real glass - we've decided real tempered glass is the only way to go for an factory-quality product.

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the idea and would enjoy the chalange of a DIY kit. The pop-up feature is nice but I would still be interested in it if it was a fixed window disgin. Like many others I use my hard top mostly in the winter months but I would love a skylight for those months making it feel more open.

I know it wasn't part of the orginal post but I like photo of a moon roof over the back seat too.
We do have a fixed rear skylight kit in development, but haven't decided if we'll put it into production. This is a concept image drawn on one of our test roof panels. These would also be tinted tempered glass, not plastic/polycarbonate/acrylic/etc.

Also we could easily do a fixed kit for the Freedom Panels but figured a kit that opens would have more appeal.

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1. KILLER idea
2. I'd offer the service of installation, or offer completed panels in exchange for your unmodified panels. A lot of folks are not going to cut their own panels.
Thanks! We're not in a position to do installations, but if there's a Jeep shop out there that wants to partner with us to handle the installations we'd be happy to explore the idea with them.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts