Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 TJ has started a very tough popping sound, almost like it's coming from the rear end. I REALLY hope it's not the diff. Maybe bearings in the rear?? Something. Anything. I'll post a video of it, any expert advise would be great!https://youtu.be/spr1B306fx4

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
If it is a consistent popping sound for every tire revolution, I would open up the diff and see what is going on.

My brother-in-law had that sound and it was an exploded LSD disk that took out teeth on the R&P.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it is a consistent popping sound for every tire revolution, I would open up the diff and see what is going on. My brother-in-law had that sound and it was an exploded LSD disk that took out teeth on the R&P.
now that you say that. It only does it on turns or a slow speeds (the video was in 4L , no gas) and I was turning in a complete circle. I wanna say it feels like a spool? That maybe broke?? I guess I'm gonna have to take the diff cover off huh. Darn it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you check your u-joints ? Pull the rear cover and a look.
I haven't opened it up at all yet, I kinda figured how loud it is it would be outside the differential. I'll be opening it up this weekend, any other potential spots would be great. But def gonna check those U joints.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
When you are turning the spider gears are turning...so that is what I would be looking at when you open the diff case.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you are turning the spider gears are turning...so that is what I would be looking at when you open the diff case.
Sounds good. Any idea how much a new carrier would be? Or can you just replace spider gears. Assuming that's what the noise is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts