Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 2013 Rubicon has developed a popping sound when I turn the steering wheel, particularly in tight spots like a parking lot.

The dealer says I need a new tie rod. They apparently forgot that 9,000 miles ago they installed a brand-new heavy duty Yeti tie rod and drag link, and a Fox ATS. So I am understandably skeptical of their diagnosis.

I took it to someone I know at 4WP and he thinks the popping sound is coming from the Pitman Arm, as the steering box "skips" when it turns.

My bumper-to-bumper warranty runs out in three weeks, and I will be traveling two of those weeks, so I need to get this resolved ASAP.

Thoughts anyone?

·
Super Moderator
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am assuming yes. I had asked the dealer to make sure everything down there was tightened, and they came back with "you need a new tie rod".

I've been going to this dealer for 10+ years and know the Service Manager, so I have escalated it with him. Now waiting to hear back.

·
Registered
262 Posts
i had a clunk like that on my 13 jku as well. turned out to be a loose sway bar connect bolt so the sway bar would bounce up and down a little and clunk like hell. took 2 weeks of searching to find that one! may not be your issue Aldo but as others see this, they may get the idea to check their discos are tight.

·
Super Moderator
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i had a clunk like that on my 13 jku as well. turned out to be a loose sway bar connect bolt so the sway bar would bounce up and down a little and clunk like hell. took 2 weeks of searching to find that one! may not be your issue Aldo but as others see this, they may get the idea to check their discos are tight.
Oh...I actually have those JKS sway bar links! They are bulky; one could be touching.

Good call! I will go check.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Could be a ball joint. Best plan is have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you're listening/looking.

Don't always trust dealerships techs. You would think that they would be the best but often they aren't.

Years ago I had one tell me that I needed a transmission. Took my car to Midas and it was a $100 fix that had nothing to do with the transmission.

·
Super Moderator
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I don't believe I need a new tie rod.

I don't see the sway bar links touching anything, either.

I am taking the Jeep to the dealer tomorrow so the Service Manager can look for himself while I turn the steering wheel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had something similar happen to mine a few months back. Popping sound at slow speeds/tight turns and the steering wheel felt like it got loose a bit. They wound up replacing the steering box in mine. Hope you figure it out!

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
A mechanics stethoscope is very cheap.

Of course the dealer is going to tell you it's the part that they wont replace.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Aldo... have them check the upper/lower intermediate steering shaft. .
^^^^^ this. There is also a bushing in the firewall that if misplaced can cause some play in the shaft. Have someone go turn the wheel back and forth while you pop the hood and listen to the shaft. You might even be able to just try rotating the shaft yourself without the need of anyone turning the wheel.

·
Vendor
739 Posts
:beerdrinking:
So, my 2013 Rubicon has developed a popping sound when I turn the steering wheel, particularly in tight spots like a parking lot.

The dealer says I need a new tie rod. They apparently forgot that 9,000 miles ago they installed a brand-new heavy duty Yeti tie rod and drag link, and a Fox ATS. So I am understandably skeptical of their diagnosis.

I took it to someone I know at 4WP and he thinks the popping sound is coming from the Pitman Arm, as the steering box "skips" when it turns.

My bumper-to-bumper warranty runs out in three weeks, and I will be traveling two of those weeks, so I need to get this resolved ASAP.

Thoughts anyone?
I have a real good Steer Smarts dealer in California. He does installs from wheels to HIMI engine installs. Chris Johnson, president of RockTech Off Road. He is one of my master dealers and be builds some of the best mods that I've seen. He really understands steering and could really help you out. He's just south of Las Angles California. Good luck.
Compliant

·
Premium Member
9,799 Posts
I have a real good Steer Smarts dealer in California. He does installs from wheels to HIMI engine installs. Chris Johnson, president of RockTech Off Road. He is one of my master dealers and be builds some of the best mods that I've seen. He really understands steering and could really help you out. He's just south of Las Angles California. Good luck.
Compliant
I'm about 5-10 min from RockTech... I've been thinking about using them to get some work done on my XJ.. I've heard and read good things about them.

glad they come highly recommended.

http://www.rocktechoffroad.com

·
Super Moderator
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Compliant
Thank you for the info!

The dealer is unable to figure out what it is. I may take it to RockTech in the new year.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Is your yeti have the attenuator with it? My steering attenuator went out and the rubber was popping like you describe.

·
Super Moderator
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haven't heard the popping sound since I got it back from the dealer. It disappeared as mysteriously as it appeared. Wonder if it is because the cold spell we have been having.

In any event, not much I can do until I get back in two weeks. Hope it doesn't reappear when my warranty expired.

Happy holidays everyone!

·
Premium Member
9,799 Posts
Same to you Aldo... in case it was overlooked - a note to play it safe. Since you're traveling a quick inspection of those lugs to make sure you don't have any that's starting to back out.. That could be your popping noise.

Take care, and most of all have fun..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts