Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new member/jeep owner here. (2012 jkus) I have around 11k miles on my jk now, bought it preowned from a dealer with 9.5k. I have recently started hearing what seems to be a popping sound when I am going into gear. Usually it happens going into reverse but sometimes when into drive (auto tranny) and only seems to happen when parked or stopped on a decline and only when going into the gear. Once it is in and I start driving I get the pop after about 5 feet then no more noises. Has anyone else experienced this or can think of a cause? I have not done any mods to my jeep besides disabling the seatbelt chime.

Thanks

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have almost the same thing in my 09 Unlimited Auto. When shifting gear sitting still (parked) I may get the noise or ten feet after moving. I also notice it sometimes after stopping then taking a turn. Thoughts? I plan to check my u-joints on the axle side this week and go from there. I should add mines more of a clank / popping sound.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I will update this thread later this weekend after I inspect my u-joints. Hopefully I get it figured out for the both of us.

·
Registered
18 Posts
+1 I get this with my TJ, the pop or clank and usually a jolt or jump in the direction of travel

Could the culprit be Control arms?

·
Registered
360 Posts
No, the problem is not control arms. I just replaced all four front control arms and reinstalled / inspected all rear control arms and the noise did not go away.

I am will checking all of my ball joints and u-joints this weekend and will make sure to update you guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts