Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i get the front right tire in a bind or hit a bump a little hard there is a popping under there. thought it might be wheel bearings but ive pulled the tire off and it seems to be alright.Any ideas on what this might be?

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
Without looking at anything, from what you describe it could be the ball joint or tie rod end. Did you hit anything hard recently?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Jawjaboy said:
When i get the front right tire in a bind or hit a bump a little hard there is a popping under there. thought it might be wheel bearings but ive pulled the tire off and it seems to be alright.Any ideas on what this might be?
What year wrangler do you have? Does it have a lift on it? If you have coil springs, it may not be seated right(the coil itself). Had that happen on our Rubi. Look to see if you have the same clearance on both sides between the tires, and wheel wells.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its an 88 with 3 inches of body lift(so far).And i dont think ive hit anything with it recently. Thanx

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
There is not much to be popping on a leaf sprung Jeep. Have you tried jacking it up on the front, putting jack stands under it, and moving the steering back and forth with no weight on it? That may give you some clues. Have someone move the steering back and forth, while you look at all the linkages under there.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i had a popping it was from the track bar relocater bracket it was lose. Also if your bushings are not greased well they will bind and lut go, popping.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
I would take a look at all of your bushings. especially on an older Jeep. The bushings are rubber and they tend to softer over time. The noise could be the bushing bottoming out. If that is the case you should get yourself a new lift with new bushings included...in case you need an excuse to get a lift.

·
Hacks off Parts while Lit
2,290 Posts
check your shock too...loose shock will thump like that

1 - 9 of 9 Posts