Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So winter is a pproaching and I just put my hardtop back on the jeep. Last weekend I did Cleghorn trail with some friends. It seems like when my top and doors are back on, the back end of the jeep seem real heavy. When on a steep hill climb, if there is any articulation involved, my front end would pop up as if it wants to roll backwards. I have done all the black diamond trails in the area with top and doors off without this problem happening. I have been reading up on the rear sping arch and collapse topic, as I have have a guess that this my be my problem too. I had this problem last winter, so I removed my rear seat, moved my tool box in front of the rear axle. This did not seem to help. I am not an agressive jeeper, I always take things slow and safe. Has anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
miketj said:
So winter is a pproaching and I just put my hardtop back on the jeep. Last weekend I did Cleghorn trail with some friends. It seems like when my top and doors are back on, the back end of the jeep seem real heavy. When on a steep hill climb, if there is any articulation involved, my front end would pop up as if it wants to roll backwards. I have done all the black diamond trails in the area with top and doors off without this problem happening. I have been reading up on the rear sping arch and collapse topic, as I have have a guess that this my be my problem too. I had this problem last winter, so I removed my rear seat, moved my tool box in front of the rear axle. This did not seem to help. I am not an agressive jeeper, I always take things slow and safe. Has anyone had this problem?
One thing that I did on my Toyota was run the winch line to a loop I welded on the front axle and collapse the front end. I only need to do that for extreme steep hills. I'm new to jeep but I bet most do the same too.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Eh don't worry about it. That happens to me on Cleghorn too but it's really not a huge problem on other trails like John Bull, Dishpan, Holcomb or whatever. I do run a soft top all the time now though. Longer wheelbase and suckdown winch is the best thing you could do which would help a lot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. Using the winch is a great idea, I'm sure I could just weld a hook in the center of the front axle housing and hook her up. I will definatly make that mod.
I still think my rear springs are also giving me grief. Some of the guys here really have great wright ups on removing and centering the rear upper spring pads to correct the arched springs. Has anyone seen improved hill climb stability with this mod?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Stock wheel base jeeps suck on hill climbs for the most part. Add a hard top and a spare off the rear bumper/tailgate and the front will unload quite a bit when wheeling. The coil correction helps a little bit for hill climbs and it really helps over all wheeling performance. What set up are you running suspension wise and do you have a front winch?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stock wheel base jeeps suck on hill climbs for the most part. Add a hard top and a spare off the rear bumper/tailgate and the front will unload quite a bit when wheeling. The coil correction helps a little bit for hill climbs and it really helps over all wheeling performance. What set up are you running suspension wise and do you have a front winch?
Thanks Patrick, thanks Irongrave. I agree with the weight on the back end, my custom rear bumper and tire carrier added so much weight. I thought about putting the spare tire where the back seat used to be... I have a 12000 lbs winch. I'm running R/E short arm 4.5, w/ 1" pucks in the front to level. sway bar disconnects. Procomp MX8 adjustable shocks.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,614 Posts
Do some research on "antisquat" and I think you'll find your answer on why your TJ is popping wheelies. A properly designed suspension has enough antisquat which prevents the rear-end from squatting during acceleration that can encourage the front-end to lift.

I rode in the scariest Jeep ever a few years ago... whenever he got on it and came around the corner, one of his front tires would lift, I swear, 2' up in the air.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do some research on "antisquat" and I think you'll find your answer on why your TJ is popping wheelies. A properly designed suspension has enough antisquat which prevents the rear-end from squatting during acceleration that can encourage the front-end to lift.

I rode in the scariest Jeep ever a few years ago... whenever he got on it and came around the corner, one of his front tires would lift, I swear, 2' up in the air.
Thanks Jerry, I think you just opened up pandora's box for me... LOL I have been taking your advise and reading up on the antisquat vs squat discussion. I am just disapointed that I cannot find much info on it in terms of short arm jeeps... I'm thinking I could use a little antisquat, but is there a way to adjust the arms to do so?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Thanks Jerry, I think you just opened up pandora's box for me... LOL I have been taking your advise and reading up on the antisquat vs squat discussion. I am just disapointed that I cannot find much info on it in terms of short arm jeeps... I'm thinking I could use a little antisquat, but is there a way to adjust the arms to do so?
Link suspensions for dummies? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

There's a lot more to it. It can be done on short arms, I know of many people who have.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,614 Posts
Link suspensions for dummies? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

There's a lot more to it. It can be done on short arms, I know of many people who have.
That thread started by Dallas of Stinkyfab is full of good tech, he has built some amazing rigs since then. One of his later Jeeps he did most of the work on won the 2012 King of the Hammers Everyman Challenge. His shop where he does some amazing fabrication too is only a few miles from me and his mother-in-law is in my 4x4 club.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts